Seite 7 von 12
Neuester Beitrag: 00.00.00 00:00
Eröffnet am:16.03.04 20:05von: proxicomiAnzahl Beiträge:285
Neuester Beitrag:00.00.00 00:00von: FISCHERSM.Leser gesamt:32.854
Forum:Talk Leser heute:6
Bewertet mit:

Seite: < 1 | ... | 4 | 5 | 6 |
| 8 | 9 | 10 | ... 12  >  

13393 Postings, 7557 Tage danjelshakeaha... o. T.

16.08.04 17:02

4690 Postings, 8728 Tage proxicomiPresident Bush Thanks Veterans of Foreign Wars

17.08.04 19:09
Monday, August 16, 2004
President Bush Thanks Veterans of Foreign Wars for Honorable and Courageous Service

Dr. Albert B. Sabin Cincinnati Cinergy Center

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all very much. Thanks for the warm welcome. And thanks for inviting me for your 105th national convention. I'm proud to be here. (Applause.)

One of the great honors of being Commander-in-Chief is meeting the courageous men and women who stand watch for freedom. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than to look them in the eye and say on behalf of our country, thank you for your service. (Applause.) The same is true of each of you here today. When the enemies of freedom were on the march, and our country and the world needed brave Americans to take up arms and stop their advance, you stepped forward to serve. And today, I'm proud to stand before you as Commander-in-Chief, look you in the eye, and say, America thanks you for your service. (Applause.)

I want to thank Ed Banas for his service in being an effective commander of the VFW. I appreciate the job he's done, and I want to thank his wife, Sandra, for standing by his side during this important time for the VFW. Ed, thank you, sir, for your service. (Applause.)

I also thank my friend, Bob Wallace, the Executive Director of the VFW. I want to thank Governor Bob Taft for joining us today, from the state of Ohio; my friend, Tony Principi -- I'll say something about him here in a minute; and Congressman Rob Portman, Congressman from Ohio is with us, as well. I'm honored that these elected officials -- and in Principi's case, appointed official -- is with us today.

I want to thank John Furgess, the incoming VFW National Commander-in-Chief, and Alma. I want to thank Evelyn McCune, the VFW Ladies Auxiliary National President, and her husband, Don. I want to thank JoAnne Ott. I want to thank the VFW and Ladies Auxiliary members for letting me come and address you. (Applause.)

In the audience today are two people I've gotten to know during a very traumatic period during their lives. Carolyn and Keith Maupin are with us today. They're from this part of the world. Their son, Matt, has been missing in action for four months in Iraq. I have vowed to them we will do everything we can to find their loved one, Matt. I appreciate their courage. I continue to send my prayers to these two fine Americans during these difficult times for them. May God bless you, Keith and Carolyn. (Applause.)

The Veterans of Foreign Wars have always stood up for our nation and those who wear the uniform. Since your founding in 1899, the members of the VFW have been serving the men and women who served America. I appreciate your dedication. The VFW and its Ladies Auxiliary are volunteering by transporting sick and disabled vets to and from their medical appointments. You're showing great compassion. You're supporting the men and women who serve today. Some 1,500 VFW posts have adopted military units deployed in Afghanistan, Iraq, and other distant theaters. You've distributed more than 3.5 million pre-paid calling cards to our deployed forces. You've sent thousands of care packages to our troops in the field. You've helped the families back home with groceries and home repairs, and other necessities. America respects our military and their families. I thank you for showing that respect every day. (Applause.)

All our nation's veterans have made serving America the highest priority of their lives, and serving our veterans is one of the highest priorities of my administration. (Applause.) To make sure my administration fulfills the commitments I have made to America's veterans, I selected one of the finest men ever to serve as the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, a combat-decorated Vietnam veteran, Secretary Tony Principi. (Applause.)

Thanks in large part to Tony's leadership, my administration has a solid record of accomplishment for our veterans. When my 2005 budget is approved by Congress, we will have increased overall funding for our nation's veterans by almost $20 billion, or 40 percent, since 2001. (Applause.) We have increased funding for our veterans more in four years than the previous administration did in eight years. (Applause.) To provide health care to veterans, we've increased VA medical care funding by 41 percent over the past four years.

We are bringing care to more veterans more quickly. Since 2001, we've enrolled 2.5 million more veterans in health care services. We've increased out-patient visits from 44 million to 54 million. We've increased the number of prescriptions filled from 98 million to 116 million. We're getting the job done. (Applause.) We've reduced the large backlog of disability claims by about a third; we will reduce it even further. We've cut the average time it takes to process disability claims by 70 days.

We have focused resources on the veterans who need it most, those with service-related disabilities and low incomes and special needs. We've established a new scheduling system to make certain that veterans seeking care for a service-connected condition are first in line. For more than a century, federal law prohibited disabled veterans from receiving both their military retired pay and their VA disability compensation. Combat-injured and severely disabled veterans deserve better. I was proud to be the first President in over 100 years to sign concurrent receipt legislation. (Applause.) We're getting the job done in Washington, D.C.

My administration has launched a $35 million program to provide housing and health care and other support services to homeless veterans. No veteran who served in the blazing heat or bitter cold of foreign lands should have to live without shelter, exposed to the elements, in the very country whose freedom they fought for. (Applause.)

We are modernizing VA health centers, and building new ones, especially in the South and West, where increasing numbers of our veterans live. Since 2001, we have opened 194 new community-based clinics nationwide. And through the CARES initiative, we are providing $1 billion -- and have requested another half-billion for next year -- to modernize VA facilities, and to provide better care for veterans in areas where the need is growing, including here in Ohio. (Applause.)

Our VA hospitals are, on average, 50 years old. That's why we are modernizing our facilities to make sure our veterans have 21st century health care. For example, here in Ohio, we're building one of the largest new VA clinics in America in Columbus, Ohio. We're spending more than $100 million to consolidate two VA hospitals in Cleveland into a single 21st century facility. When it comes to providing first-class care for our nation's veterans, we are getting the job done. (Applause.)

Our nation's debt extends not just to the veterans who served, but to the families who supported them in war and depend on them today. Last December, I signed the Veterans Benefits Act, authorizing $1 billion in new and expanded benefits for disabled veterans, and surviving spouses and their children.

America's veterans have defended America in hours of need. And to honor the veterans from the Second World War for their service to our country, the World War II Memorial now stands on the Washington Mall. And I thank you for your efforts and your hard work to get this memorial built. And we honor all of those here today who fought to defend freedom in the Second World War. (Applause.)

Like the Second World War, the war we face today began with a ruthless, surprise attack on America. The world changed on that September morning. And since that day, we have changed the world. (Applause.) Before September the 11th, Afghanistan served as the home base of al Qaeda, which trained and deployed thousands of killers to set up terrorist cells around the world, including our own country. Because we acted, Afghanistan is a rising democracy; Afghanistan is an ally in the war on terror; Afghanistan is now a place where many young girls go to school for the first time. America and the world are safer. (Applause.)

Before September the 11th, Libya was spending millions to acquire weapons of mass destruction. Today, because America and our allies sent a clear and strong message, the leader of Libya has abandoned his pursuit of weapons of mass destruction. America and the world are safer. (Applause.)

Before September the 11th, the ruler of Iraq was a sworn enemy of America. He was defying the world. He was firing weapons at American pilots who were enforcing the world's sanctions. He had pursued and he had used weapons of mass destruction. He had harbored terrorists. He invaded his neighbors. He subsidized the families of suicide bombers. He murdered tens of thousands of his own citizens. He was a source of instability in the world's most volatile region. He was a threat.

One of the lessons of September the 11th, a lesson this nation must never forget, is that we must deal with threats before they fully materialize. (Applause.) I remembered what Saddam Hussein was like; I looked at the intelligence. I called upon Congress to remember his history and look at the intelligence. I thought it was important to bring Congress, get their opinion on the subject of Saddam Hussein. So members of both political parties, including my opponent, looked at the same intelligence and came to the same conclusion that I came to: Saddam Hussein was a threat. I went to the United Nations; the U.N. Security Council looked at the intelligence and came to the same conclusion, Saddam Hussein was a threat. As a matter of fact, they passed a resolution, 15 to nothing, which said to Saddam: disclose, disarm, or face serious consequences. As he had for the past 12 years, he refused to comply. He ignored the demands of the free world. He systematically deceived the weapons inspectors.

So I had a choice to make: either forget the lessons of September the 11th and trust a madman, or take action to defend America. Given that choice, I will defend our country every time. (Applause.)

Even though we did not find the stockpiles that we thought we would find, Saddam Hussein had the capability to make weapons of mass destruction, and he could have passed that capability on to our enemy, to the terrorists. It is not a risk, after September the 11th, that we could afford to take. Knowing what I know today, I would have taken the same action. America and the world are safer because Saddam Hussein sits in a prison cell. (Applause.)

We have more hard work to do. I'll continue to work with friends and allies around the world to aggressively pursue the terrorists in Iraq and Afghanistan and elsewhere. See, you can't talk sense to these people. You cannot negotiate with them. You cannot hope for the best. We must aggressively pursue them and defeat them in foreign lands, so we do not have to face them here at home. (Applause.)

America will continue to lead the world with confidence and moral clarity. We have put together a strong coalition to help us pursue the terrorists and spread the peace. There are over 40 nations involved in Afghanistan, some 30 nations involved in Iraq. I appreciate the sacrifices of the mothers and fathers from those countries, to have their sons and daughters stand with our troops to spread freedom and peace. I'll continue to build on those alliances and work with our friends for the cause of security and peace. But I will never turn over America's national security decisions to leaders of other countries. (Applause.)

We'll keep our commitments in Afghanistan and Iraq; we'll help them become peaceful and democratic societies. These two nations are now governed by strong leaders, they're on the path to elections. We set a clear goal, and Iraq and Afghanistan will be peaceful and democratic countries that are allies in the war on terror. We will meet that goal by helping secure their countries, to allowing a peaceful political process to develop, and by training Afghan and Iraqi forces so they can make the hard decisions, so they can defend their country against those who are preventing the spread of freedom. Our military will complete this mission as quickly as possible so our troops do not stay a day longer than necessary. (Applause.)

It's important we send the right signals when we speak here in America. The other day, my opponent said if he's elected, the number of troops in Iraq will be significantly reduced within six months. I think it sends the wrong message -- it sends the wrong signal to the enemy. They could easily wait six months and one day. It sends the wrong message to our troops, that completing the mission may not be necessary. It sends the wrong message to the Iraqi people who wonder whether or not America means what it says. Our friends and allies must know that when America speaks, we mean what we say. We will stay until the job is completed. (Applause.)

In the long run, our security is not guaranteed by force along. We will work to change the conditions that give rise to terror: poverty and hopelessness and resentment. A free and peaceful Iraq and a free and peaceful Afghanistan will be powerful, and examples in a neighborhood that is desperate for freedom. You see, by serving the ideal of liberty, we are bringing hope to others, and that makes America more secure. By serving the ideal of liberty, we're spreading the peace. Free countries do not export terror; free countries are peaceful countries. And by serving the ideal of liberty, we're serving the deepest ideals of America. We believe that freedom is not America's gift to the world, freedom is the Almighty God's gift to each man and woman in this world. (Applause.)

These are crucial times. We have an historic opportunity to win the war on terror by spreading freedom and peace. Our commitments are being kept by the men and women of our military. I've had the privilege of traveling to bases around our country and around the world. I've seen their great decency and their unselfish courage. I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, the cause of freedom is in really good hands. (Applause.)

Those who wear our uniform deserve the full support of our government. For almost four years, my administration has strengthened our military. We have enacted the largest increases in defense spending since Ronald Reagan served as the Commander-in-Chief. We've increased military pay by 21 percent. We have provided better housing and better training and better maintenance.

And last September, while our troops were in combat in Afghanistan and Iraq, I wanted to make sure they had the very best, so I proposed supplemental funding to support them in their mission. The legislation provided funding for body armor and vital equipment, hazard pay, health benefits, ammunition, fuel, and spare parts. The VFW strongly supported my request. I thank you for standing up for our troops. Your work on Capitol Hill paid off; after all, the funding received strong bipartisan support -- so strong that in the United States Senate, only 12 members voted against the funding, two of whom were my opponent and his running mate. (Applause.)

When pressed, he explained his vote -- "I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it." (Laughter.) He went on to say he was proud of the vote, and the whole thing is a "complicated" matter. There's nothing complicated about supporting our troops in combat. (Applause.)

We have more work to do to defend freedom and protect our country. We will ensure that our forces are well-prepared, and well-positioned to meet the threats of the future. Our Armed Forces have changed a lot. They're more agile and more lethal, they're better able to strike anywhere in the world over great distances on short notice. Yet for decades, America's Armed Forces abroad have essentially remained where the wars of the last century ended, in Europe and in Asia. America's current force posture was designed, for example, to protect us and our allies from Soviet aggression -- the threat no longer exists.

More than three years ago, we launched a comprehensive review of America's global force posture -- the numbers, types, locations, and capabilities of U.S. forces around the world. We've consulted closely with our allies and with Congress; we've examined the challenges posed by today's threats and emerging threats. And so, today I announce a new plan for deploying America's Armed Forces.

Over the coming decade, we'll deploy a more agile and more flexible force, which means that more of our troops will be stationed and deployed from here at home. We'll move some of our troops and capabilities to new locations, so they can surge quickly to deal with unexpected threats. We'll take advantage of 21st century military technologies to rapidly deploy increased combat power.

The new plan will help us fight and win these wars of the 21st century. It will strengthen our alliances around the world, while we build new partnerships to better preserve the peace. It will reduce the stress on our troops and our military families. Although we'll still have a significant presence overseas, under the plan I'm announcing today, over the next 10 years, we will bring home about 60,000 to 70,000 uniformed personnel, and about 100,000 members and civilian employees -= family members and civilian employees.

See, our service members will have more time on the home front, and more predictability and fewer moves over a career. Our military spouses will have fewer job changes, greater stability, more time for their kids and to spend with their families at home. The taxpayers will save money, as we configure our military to meet the threats of the 21st century. There will be savings as we consolidate and close bases and facilities overseas no longer needed to face the threats of our time and defend the peace.

The world has changed a great deal, and our posture must change with it, for the sake of our military families, for the sake of our taxpayers, and so we can be more effective at projecting our strength and spreading freedom and peace. (Applause.)

Today, our troops have the most advanced technologies at their disposal -- weapons are more lethal, more precise than were available for you. Our troops are more mobile, they can communicate better. Yet their success in the wars we fight is being made possible by the same thing that made your success possible: personal courage, love of country, dedication to duty.

As our troops fight today in Baghdad and Najaf, and the Hindu Kush mountains and elsewhere, I know America's veterans feel a special pride in them. They're carrying on your legacy of sacrifice and service. They're determined to see the mission through. This country stands with them.

I want to thank you for the example you have set for our men and women in uniform. I want to thank you for your idealism, for your dedication to God and our country. May God bless you all. And may God continue to bless the United States of America. (Applause.) Thank you all very much. (Applause.)

##############
gruß
proxi  

13393 Postings, 7557 Tage danjelshakeCD Compilation

17.08.04 21:12

SEA LION RECORDS is proud to present a
CD COMPILATION
of ANTI-BUSH, ANTI-WAR music
to be released to college and public radio stations during late SUMMER 2004, titled:
ELECTION DAY USA

ALL 20 SONGS on the COMPILATION are LISTED BELOW, with FREE RealAudio and MP3 links...  ENJOY! (scroll down for the good stuff)

16 different artists were selected to be part of this compilation. The relatively small number of songs that professionally made CDs can hold did limit how many songs we could include. Our sincerest thanks to everyone who submitted work that wasn't included. Your efforts are greatly appreciated by all of us, looking for 'closure' to this Bush matter in November 2004.

Technical Note: when you listen to the RealAudio files below, a new blank window opens automatically for each song. Just "x" out of that screen, and you'll be back at this web site.

DUCT TAPE 3:34
They are knock-you-dead funny, those folks in our Bush administration, when you look at things through John McCutcheon's eyes. His music is sticky (you'll want to hear it more than once), as his subject. In this case, it's the common household product that BushCo told us we needed to protect ourselves against terrorism last year. This song's message still holds true today. It really is sticky, this Duct Tape.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Duct Tape song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Duct Tape song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

DUCT TAPE Ó2003 John McCutcheon/Appalsongs (ASCAP)

codePINK 3:28
You gotta hand it to this energetic duo of award-winning musicians. Pat Humphries & Sandy O nailed the Bush-backed Carlyle Group and their backroom business dealings with the bin Ladens long before Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 brought that fact to theatres nationwide. This song takes music beyond the traditional music industry, which, like government and other war profiteers, silences dissent. Witness the rise of Clear Channel's monopolization of our "public" airwaves, at the hands of right-wing Republican ownership, but that's another story (we'll be talking about real soon).

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length codePINK song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length codePINK song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

codePINK Ó2004 Pat Humphries & Sandy O / Moving Forward Music (BMI)

KICK OUT THE REPUBLICANS 2:40 
Humorous and harmonious amped-up classic rock that practically demands your attention, Donny Daley rocks the world with this catchy tune. Kick Out The Republicans is a candid look at the Bush Administration, and what needs to happen to them in November '04.... Remember, somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Kick Out The Republicans song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Kick Out The Republicans song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

KICK OUT THE REPUBLICANS Ó2004 Donny Daley

BAD PRESIDENT 1:31 
Yikes! This release from folk artist Yikes McGee tells you Guthrie-style how he feels about President Bush, and we hear that his viewpoint is shared by lots of folks everywhere. There are two more short folk songs from Yikes later in the compilation, so stay tuned.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Bad President song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Bad President song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

BAD PRESIDENT Ó2003 A.J. (Yikes) McGee

SONOFA BUSH 3:52
  An enlightened, musical, satirical look at the President we 'elected' in 2000. In a nutshell, it's comedic alternative spoken word with a downtempo hip-hop feel. The 'voice' of George W Bush, rappin' his way through recent history, with lyrics inspired by actual mispronunciations and misguided thoughts that Dubya has shared with the world.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Sonofa Bush song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Sonofa Bush song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

SONOFA BUSH Ó2004 Sea Lion (BMI)

LET’S PRETEND 3:25 
Five-time Grammy-nominated musician John McCutcheon has released literally dozens of records, and is master of a dozen different instruments. In this tune, he shares his genius Randy Newman-esque vocals in an attempt to pretend-his-way-out-of current events, just like the man we call Dumbya.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Let's Pretend song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Let's Pretend song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

LET'S PRETEND Ó2003 John McCutcheon/Appalsongs (ASCAP)

CONSEQUENCES 2:52 
In the words of artist Amy Martin, "We are so proud, in this country, of our ability to take action, and at the same time, often so unaware of how those actions affect other people and places. When writing this song, I was overcome by a feeling of urgency for us to examine those repercussions, and take responsibility for them." We couldn't have said it better.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Consequences song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Consequences song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

CONSEQUENCES Ó2003 Amy Martin (BMI)

DO YOU HEAR? 2:59 
Veteran song collaborators Phil Klein and Maria DeAngelis teamed up to create this French 'musette' sound, unlike anything else in this compilation. Originally composed in French, the lyrics were translated to make the sage lyrics accessible to all of us non-French speaking folks.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Do You Hear? song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Do You Hear? song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

DO YOU HEAR? Ó2001 Phil Klein & Maria DeAngelis (ASCAP)

PEACE INSIDE 8:10 
The longest track on this compilation, with Tom Waits style vocals countered by sweet female harmony. Songwriter and vocalist Ralph Stever says, "I saw where Bush and the boys were going with their Iraq spin, and I knew they were opening the War Room. Soon I realized it was hard to be an activist for peace while in the midst of fighting my own anger toward what the administration was doing." This song is the result.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Peace Inside song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Peace Inside song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

PEACE INSIDE Ó2002 Dancing Mountain Records

HOME NO MORE 2:42 
The beautiful voice on this slow sad ballad belongs to Kris Penn. The guy seated at right is Thomas Pace, who interrupted work on a follow-up CD to his successful debut to write some songs that address the current political climate. This is one of 'em, and a great one at that.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Home No More song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Home No More song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

HOME NO MORE Ó2004 Thomas Pace

I DON’T WANT TO BE A SOLDIER 3:36 
Time marches on, but 88-year-old Julius from George and Julius keeps on telling us all 'like it is.' The fact that Julius is as committed to fighting Bush’s re-election as he is gives us all hope for the future. If he can do it, everyone can do it. George Mann and Julius Margolin are anti-Bush pro-Labor folkies, and they dedicate this to all the victims of Bush’s illegal invasion and especially to the young men and women who might be considering joining Bush’s armed forces. War is ugly and evil, and this war is especially so.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length I Don't Want To Be A Solider song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length I Don't Want To Be A Solider song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

I DON'T WANT TO BE A SOLDIER Ó2003 Julius Margolin and George Mann

CONSPIRACY OF SILENCE 3:36 
John Kasper's musical talent and ambition rival that of many big-time musicians. Anthony Krizan of the legendary *Spin Doctors* produced this great song from the New-Jersey-based John Kasper Band.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Conspiracy of Silence song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Conspiracy of Silence song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

CONSPIRACY OF SILENCE Ó2004 The John Kasper Band

PROPAGANDY 2:22 
Yikes McGee sings out the truth about propaganda, as the Bush team practices it.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Propagandy song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Propagandy song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

PROPAGANDY Ó2003 A.J. (Yikes) McGee

OPERATION IRAQI LIBERATION 2:43 
Proof that there are some brilliant satirists who have infiltrated the government at its highest levels, "OIL" is, in fact, the acronym first (briefly) used to name the invasion of Iraq, which was later changed to Operation Iraqi Freedom.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Operation Iraqi Liberation song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Operation Iraqi Liberation song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

OPERATION IRAQI LIBERATION Ó2003 David Rovics (BMI)

ROGUE NATION 2:34 
Mike and Dave (the tightly wound springs of COILER) consider themselves forward-thinking throwbacks to a simpler, more complicated era, when creating retro-modern acoustic techno-pop folk metal was encouraged in schools and churches. Now that schools and churches create only bullies and the hapless drones they ride like donkeys, isn't it time to make up your own mind?

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Rogue Nation song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Rogue Nation song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

ROGUE NATION Ó2004 Coiler

COWBOY PRESIDENT 2:38
Yikes McGee’s third appearance on this compilation, Cowboy President is a smooth folk protest song. Proof that one voice and one guitar is all it takes to make great music. Listen and help rid the world of mad cow(boy) disease.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Cowboy President song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Cowboy President song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

COWBOY PRESIDENT Ó2003 A.J. (Yikes) McGee

SOMEWHERE DOWN THE LINE 2:38
Country rock roots with a thick dirty edge, framing the band's lyrical passion for justice with a wildly original rock and roll sound. The upside down MAYDAY MAYDAY flag motif the band has adopted befits the results our current befuddled administration has embraced.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Somewhere Down The Line song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Somewhere Down The Line song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

SOMEWHERE DOWN THE LINE Ó2004 Old No. 8

RISE UP! 3:14 
Living in Thailand, musician David Freyer watched coverage of a Washington DC protest march, got fired up, and wrote some lyrics. Within a week, his band The Positive Chi Units had laid down this emotive track honoring the true voice of America. You! Make your voice heard on (or before) November 2, 2004. Use it, or lose it. And please, register to vote, if you haven't already done so.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Rise Up! song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Rise Up! song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

RISE UP! Ó2004 David Freyer and the Positive Chi Units

SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN 4:47 
Promoting peace through culture, the hip yet unsettling backbeat and use of minor chords help make this song majorly appealing... Rhett Redelings-MacDermott's thoughtful and engaging lyrics are something to believe in, for sure. In addition to our collective urgency to find peace, we also need to believe that Bush will go back to Texas in November, with your help.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length Something To Believe In song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length Something To Believe In song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN Ó2004 R-Three (BMI)

THE WAR IS OVER 3:08 
It's true, David Rovics has a tight fist on the pulse of intervention through music. Since the mid-90's, he has spent most of his time on tour, playing concerts across the US, Canada and Europe. Here, he gives us this song of lies that George W Bush started propagating back when he thought he could do what he wanted (and perhaps more importantly, what Dick Cheney wanted) in 2003. David is an established voice in musical protest against the Bush Company administration, and he should be commended for that service to our country.

LISTEN to a FREE RealAudio stream of the full-length The War Is Over song, optimized for dial-up modem connections... click here.

DOWNLOAD a FREE MP3 file of the full-length The War Is Over song... click here using the right button on your mouse and 'save target as'.

THE WAR IS OVER Ó2003 David Rovics (BMI)

unlike some folks we know of, we actually are "uniters, not dividers"

sea lion records brought together the artists for this compilation, in the hope that all this great music in one place will inspire folks out there to participate in the ongoing political dialogue, in whatever way(s) you see fit.

remember... it's now or never... use it or lose it... just do it...

...AND THANKS FOR LISTENING

mfg ds

13393 Postings, 7557 Tage danjelshakeGI Bashes Bush

17.08.04 21:14

13393 Postings, 7557 Tage danjelshakeBush foreign policy under attack

17.08.04 21:16
A group of senior former US government officials will release a statement later this week condemning President George W Bush's foreign policy. The group call themselves Diplomats and Military Commanders for Change. They say Mr Bush's policies have made the US more isolated and less safe, and damaged its standing in the world. The BBC's Jon Leyne in Washington says former officials have criticised Mr Bush before, but this time the critics are especially well-respected.  They include William Crowe, who as chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, was America's top military officer and Admiral Stansfield Turner, a former director of the CIA. The statement follows criticism last month by 53 former diplomats who accused the administration of undermining US credibility in the Arab world with its strong support for Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon. The British government has also come under fire, with 52 former officials attacking Prime Minister Tony Blair's support for Washington over Iraq and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. 'Dangerous posture' Those signing the statement say they believe the Bush administration has made the international outlook more unstable and dangerous. Phyllis Oakley, the former deputy state department spokesperson under President Reagan, told the BBC World Service's World Today programme that Mr Bush's Iraq policy had played a big part in their decision to publicise their concerns. "But it goes beyond that to the whole thrust of his posture for the US and the world - to move away from the international structures that have been painstakingly built up over the years, away from our work with allies," she said. Ms Oakley said it was a "dangerous posture" for the US to act as the "unilateral, sole superpower" that could impose its will on others. "We cannot go it alone," she said. In their criticisms of US policy on Iraq, the signatories say that all the assumptions made by the administration before the invasion have been proved wrong. "It's a plea with the president to more urgently seek multilateral support for what we're doing in Iraq, to go back and forth in strengthening the alliances we've traditionally worked with," Admiral Crowe told the BBC. 'Failed policies' HAVE YOUR SAY  Bush's foreign policy has made us the object of hate world wide Susan Taylor, Bronxville, NY Click here to read more of your comments The group is made up of both Democrats and Republicans. Known critics of the administration were deliberately excluded. However, several individual signatories have said they will back Mr Bush's Democrat challenger John Kerry and others say that the document is in effect calling for the president's removal. "It is clear that the statement calls for the defeat of the administration," Mr Harrop said. But supporters of the administration said the former officials who signed the letter were simply trying to hide the inadequacy of their own policies. "Largely, they are people who were in senior official capacities before 9/11. They are people who are responsible for the policies prior to 9/11. Those policies I think, failed spectacularly on 9/11," Cliff May, president of the conservative Foundation for the Defense of Democracies, told the BBC. "It seems that these folks feel that those policies in place before 9/11 were perfectly fine. Nevertheless, these are what some people might describe as 9/10 people, they want to continue with the failed policies and they don't want to change those policies despite their failures." mfg ds  

4690 Postings, 8728 Tage proxicomiThe President Announces Proposals to Improve Educa

20.08.04 00:05
 Wednesday, August 18, 2004
The President Announces Proposals to Improve Education for America's Military Members and Families

Kell Container Corporation
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

THE PRESIDENT:  Thank you all for coming.  (Applause.)  It's great to be here in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.  What a beautiful day.  (Applause.) You know what I think?  I think Wisconsin is "W" country.  (Applause.)  I'm proud to be here.  I appreciate this war hospitality.  You know, my opponent said the other day you can find the heart and soul in Hollywood -- I think you find it right here in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin.  (Applause.) I'm glad to be with the heart and soul of America.  (Applause.)

And I'm here to ask for your vote.  (Applause.)  I believe if you're seeking the vote you've got to go ask for it.  I'm here to tell you I've got more work to do to make this country safer and stronger and better for every single citizen.  (Applause.)  And I appreciate you coming out to say hello.

I'm sorry Laura is not with me.

AUDIENCE:  Awwww --

THE PRESIDENT:  No, I know it.  She's in Colorado today campaigning. She is a fantastic First Lady, a great mom and -- (applause) -- I love her dearly.  Listen, I'm going to give you some reasons to put me back in, but perhaps the most important one is so that Laura is the First Lady for four more years.  (Applause.)

I'm running with a good man -- they call it the Bush-Cheney ticket.
I'm proud to be running with Dick Cheney.  (Applause.)   Now, listen, I
admit to you he isn't the prettiest one in the race.  (Laughter.)  I didn't pick him for his looks.  (Laughter.)  I picked him for his judgment, his experience.  I picked him because he can get the job done.  (Applause.)

I appreciate the Kell boys for having us over here.  (Applause.) John and Tom.  I love to come to places where people are entrepreneurial, where people are willing to expand the job base.  That's what it's all about in this country, to elevate the entrepreneurial spirit.  And the Kells represent that spirit, and I'm honored that you would have us here.

I appreciate being on the same stage with my friend, Congressman Mark Green.  He's a good man.  (Applause.)  Treasurer Jack Voight is with us, as well.  I appreciate you being here, Jack.  I'm honored you're here.
(Applause.)  I want to thank the Mayor, Mayor Doug Sandvick, for being here.  Mr. Mayor, thanks for coming.  My only advice to you, Mr. Mayor, is fill the potholes.  (Applause.)

State Senator Dale Schultz, the next congressman from this part of the world, is with us today.  (Applause.)  I hope you put him in to the United States Congress.  He'll do a fine job for the people of this part of the world.  I appreciate all the state and local officials here.  I want to thank everybody for organizing this fantastic event.

I know you join me in congratulating the Hamm brothers from the great state of Wisconsin, for their performance in the Olympics.  (Applause.)  I know they made the people of Wisconsin proud; they made this Texan proud, too.  (Applause.)

Most of all, I want to thank you all for coming.  I want to thank the grassroots activists who are here, people putting up the signs, the people making the phone calls.  I urge you to continue to register people to vote.
(Applause.)  We have a duty in this country to vote.  In a free land, people must participate in the elections.  So do your duty as grassroots activists, and continue to register people.  Convince everybody to vote. And when you get them headed to the polls, remind them George Bush and Dick Cheney are willing and ready to lead this country for four more years.
(Applause.)

AUDIENCE:  Four more years!  Four more years!  Four more years!

THE PRESIDENT:  I'm traveling your state a lot.  (Applause.)  And I'm enjoying every minute of it.  You know why I'm coming back?  We were close last time.  With your help this time, we will carry Wisconsin and have a great victory in November of 2004.  (Applause.)

In the past few years we have been through a lot together, and we've accomplished a great deal.  But there's only one reason to look backward at the record, and that is to determine who best to lead us forward.  I'm asking for your vote because so much is at stake.  I'm asking for your vote because we have so much more to do to move this country forward.  We've got more to do to create jobs and improve schools, from fighting terror to spreading the peace.  We've made much progress, and we will do more on behalf of the American people.  (Applause.)

We got more to do to make our public schools the centers of excellence we all know they can be, so that no child is left behind in America.  You might remember what it was like three-and-a-half years ago. We were spending money at the federal level, but year after year, children were being shuffled from grade to grade without learning the basics.  I went to Washington to challenge the soft bigotry of low expectations.  I wanted to raise the bar.  (Applause.)  We've increased federal funding, but now we're asking the question that you expect us to ask:  Can our children read and write and add and subtract?  And if not, we'll make sure they get help early.  We believe in local control of schools, we believe in parental involvement, and we will challenge the status quo when we find schools that will not teach and will not change.  (Applause.)

There's more work to be done.  We want to have early intervention programs.  We want to make sure we intervene in junior high when children can't read and write.  We want to make sure we emphasize math and science so our kids have got the capabilities of competing in the 21st century.  We want our high school diplomas to mean something.  After four more years, a rising generation of youngsters will have the skills and the confidence necessary to realize the great promise of the American Dream.  (Applause.)

We've got more to do to make sure quality health care is available and affordable.  You might remember all the debates of the past, when politician after politician said, we're going to fix Medicare.  And nothing ever got done, till we came to town.  We got the job done.  (Applause.)  We have strengthened Medicare.  More than four million seniors have signed up for drug discount cards that provide real savings.  And beginning in 2006, all seniors on Medicare will be able to choose a plan that suits their needs, and gives them coverage for prescription drugs.

There's more to do.  We've expanded community health centers to help low-income America -- Americans get primary care.  We've established what's called health savings accounts so families can save tax-free for their own health care needs.  When it comes to working on the issue of costs and availability, we've made progress.  There's more work to do be done.  You see, most people get their health care through businesses and most small businesses cannot afford health care.  And so, therefore, government must allow small businesses to pool risk so they can afford health insurance for their employees, just like big businesses can.  (Applause.)

We'll harness technology to reduce costs and prevent mistakes.  We'll expand research to seek new cures.  In order to make sure your health care system works, in order to make sure health care is available and affordable, we must have medical liability reform.  (Applause.)  These frivolous lawsuits are funning up the cost of health care.  See, I don't think you can be pro-doctor and pro-patient and pro-plaintiff attorney at the same time.  I think you have to choose.  My opponent made his choice, and he put him on the ticket.  (Applause.)  I made my choice, I am for medical liability reform now.  (Applause.) And in all we do to improve health care, we will make sure that health care decisions are made by patients and doctors, not by government bureaucrats.

There's more to do to keep this economy growing.  We've been through a lot.  Our economy has overcome some mighty obstacles.  We've been through a recession.  We've been through corporate scandals.  We've been through a war and a terrorist attack.  And yet, we've overcome those obstacles because the spirit of this country is strong.  Our workers are great.  Our farmers are really good.  The small business sector is vibrant and alive. And I think one of the reasons we've come through these obstacles is because of well-timed tax cuts.  (Applause.)

When we saw what was happening, we acted.  We said to the Congress, let people keep more of their own money.  Notice I said more of their own money, I didn't say government money.  (Applause.)  If they have money in Washington, it's not the government's money, it's your money.  (Applause.) And by letting you keep more of your own money, this economy is growing. It's strong and it's getting stronger.

Our economy since last summer has grown at a rate as fast as any in nearly 20 years.  (Applause.)  We've added over 1.5 million -- nearly 1.5 million new jobs in the past year.  The national unemployment rate is 5.5 percent.  (Applause.)  The unemployment rate in Wisconsin is 5 percent.
(Applause.)  We've done our job.  We've created the conditions for economic growth, but there is more work to do.

I'm proud of our agricultural agenda.  We set out a good agenda for Wisconsin's and America's farmers.  You know, when I was campaigning, I said these dairy compacts must treat every farmer fairly.  When you get people heading to the polls, remind them of what my opponent said.  He supported a Northeast dairy compact, which put the farmers in this part of the world at a distinct disadvantage.  I believe there's more work to do to make sure this economy continues to grow.  I want to continue and open up markets.  You see, I believe we can compete with anybody, any time, anywhere so long as the playing field is level.  I want people eating Wisconsin corn.  I want them eating Wisconsin dairy products.  (Applause.) Our farm economy is strong because markets are open to U.S. farm products. And I'll keep it that way.  (Applause.)

There's more work to be done to make sure people have got work here at home.  Listen, to make sure jobs are here, we need a national energy policy that makes us less dependent on foreign sources of energy --
(applause) -- energy policy that encourages environmentally sensitive exploration for resources, clean coal technology, renewable sources of energy like biodiesel and ethanol, more conservation.  But we must, in order to keep jobs here, have an energy policy.  Congress needs to get my plan to my desk for my signature.  (Applause.)

In order to make sure jobs are here, we've got to have reasonable regulations.  Many of you fill out a lot of paperwork.  I can't guarantee anybody in government has read it.  (Laughter.)  But I do know that in order to make sure jobs are here, we've got to be reasonable about the requests we put on employers.  We need tort reform here in America.  We need fiscal discipline when it comes to spending your money.  We got to be wise about how we spend it and we must keep your taxes low.  (Applause.)

This campaign is getting cranked up.  My opponent has already promised over $2 trillion of new spending and there's still two more months to go.  (Laughter.)  So I asked him the other day, how are you going to pay for it?  He said, tax the rich.  The problem is, you can't tax the rich enough to raise $2 trillion.  So guess who's going to pay?  You are.  But we're not going to let him.  We're going to win in November of 2004.
(Applause.)

THE PRESIDENT:  We have more to do to wage and win the war against terror.  America's future depends on our willingness to lead in the world. If America shows uncertainty and weakness in this decade, the world will drift toward tragedy.  This isn't going to happen on my watch.  (Applause.)

The world changed on a terrible September morning, and since that day, we have changed the world.  Before September the 11th, Afghanistan served as the home base of al Qaeda, which trained and deployed thousands of killers to set up terror cells around the world, including the United States of America.  Because we acted, Afghanistan is a rising democracy. Because we acted, Afghanistan is an ally in the war on terror.  And because we acted, many young girls go to school for the first time in their lives.
(Applause.)  Because we acted, America and the world are safer.

Before September the 11th, Libya was spending millions to acquire weapons of mass destruction.  Today, because America and our allies have sent a strong and easy to understand message, the lead of Libya has abandoned his pursuit of weapons of mass destruction and America and the world are safer.  (Applause.)

Before September the 11th, the ruler of Iraq was a sworn enemy of America.  He was defying the world.  He was firing weapons at American pilots enforcing the world's sanctions.  He had used weapons of mass destruction.  He harbored terrorists.  He invaded his neighbors.  He subsidized the families of suicide bombers.  He killed tens of thousands of his own citizens.  He was a source of great instability in the world's most volatile region.  He was a threat.  He was a threat.

One of the lessons of September the 11th, a vital lesson of this country that we must never forget, is that we must take threats seriously before they fully materialize.  (Applause.)  I went to the United States Congress to get congressional support.  Members of both political parties looked at the same intelligence, remembered the same history.  Both Republicans and Democrats, including my opponent, came to the same conclusion Saddam Hussein was a threat.

Listen, the toughest decision a President can ever make is to send citizens into combat.  And so I went to the United Nations, hoping to solve this problem diplomatically.  I said to the United Nations, we see a threat.  They responded.  They looked at the intelligence, they remembered the history.  The U.N. Security Council passed a resolution 15-0 that said Saddam Hussein must disclose, disarm or face serious consequences.

The world spoke, but as he had for over a decade, Saddam Hussein defied the world.  He wasn't listening to what the world said.  As a matter of fact, you  might remember we sent inspectors into Iraq.  He systematically deceived the inspectors.

So I had a choice to make.  Do I forget the lessons of September the 11th, and trust a madman, or take action to defend America.  Given that choice, I will defend our country every time.  (Applause.)

Even though we didn't find the stockpiles we expected to find, Saddam Hussein had the capability of making weapons.  And he could have passed that capability on to our enemies.  It's a risk we could not afford to take after the attacks of September the 11th.  Knowing what I know today, I would have made the same decision.  America and the world are safer because Saddam Hussein sits in a prison cell.  (Applause.)

Now, almost two years after he voted for the war in Iraq, and seven months after switching positions to declare himself the anti-war candidate, my opponent has found a new nuance.  He now agrees it was the right decision to go into Iraq.  See, after months of questioning my motives and even my credibility, the Senator from Massachusetts now agrees with me that even though we have not found the stockpiles we all thought we would have found, knowing everything we know today, he would have voted to go into Iraq and remove Saddam Hussein from power.  I want to thank him for clearing that up.  (Laughter and applause.)  But I want to remind you, I want to remind you, there's still 76 days left in the campaign for him to change his mind.  (Laughter.)

We have more to do.  I'm running again because I understand there's more work to do to secure America.  We will continue to work with our friends and allies around the world, to aggressively pursue the terrorists and the foreign fighters in Iraq and Afghanistan, and elsewhere.  See, I don't believe you can talk sense to these people.  I do not believe you can negotiate with them.  I know we must engage these enemies around the world so we do not have to face them here at home.  (Applause.)

We will lead the world with confidence and moral clarity.  We've put together a great coalition.  There's over 40 nations involved in Afghanistan, some 30 nations involved in Iraq.  I appreciate the sacrifice of the moms and dads from those countries who've joined with the sacrifices of the moms and dads of our countries to have their loved ones overseas securing freedom and peace.  It's a great contribution that these countries have made.  I'll continue to work with those alliances.  But I'll assure you, I will never turn over America's national security decisions to leaders of other countries.  (Applause.)

We'll keep our commitments to Afghanistan and Iraq.  It's important we do so.  These countries are becoming free countries, peaceful countries. Do you realize over 9 million people have registered to vote in Afghanistan?  (Applause.)  It's an amazing thought, you know? Three-and-a-half years ago, they were run by the Taliban.  They pulled women into the public square to whip them.  Today women are getting ready to vote.  (Applause.)  They're headed toward freedom.  Iraq is going to head toward free elections.  They got leaders who understand that if you listen to the aspirations of your people, the country will be better off. Our job is to provide a secure environment for those countries to head toward elections and, as well, train Iraqi and Afghan forces so they can defend themselves -- to give them a chance to defeat those killers who are stopping the advance of freedom.  We'll complete this mission as quickly as possible so our troops do not stay a day longer than necessary.
(Applause.)

But in this campaign, you better watch what you say.  The other day, my opponent said if he's elected the number of troops in Iraq will be significantly reduced within six months.  See, that's a bad signal to send to the enemy.  All they got to do is wait six months and one day.  It's a bad signal to send to our troops -- that your mission won't be completed. It's a bad signal to send to the Iraqi citizens who wonder whether or not America will keep its word.  I believe when America speaks, we must mean what we say.  We will complete the mission so Iraq and Afghanistan are free and peaceful countries.  (Applause.)

Our commitments are kept by the men and women who wear the uniform. I'm proud of our military.  I appreciate the veterans who are here for setting such a good example for those who wear our uniforms.  (Applause.) I met Specialist Wayne Trimbell, behind the stage here.  He's from the 724th Engineering Battalion of the Wisconsin National Guard.  He served --
(applause) -- he served our country in Iraq.  He was telling me how he built bridges and roads and installed electricity.  He said, "It made me recognize the things America takes for granted.  I'm proud to say I served my country."  I'm proud he served his country, too.  I know the decency and courage of those who wear our uniform.  The cause of freedom and peace is in really good hands.  (Applause.)

And we got to make sure our military has everything they need to complete the mission.  Our federal government owes them the best pay, the best training, the best equipment, and the best possible support.  I have done my duty as the Commander-in-Chief to support our troops.  As a matter of fact, last September, I went to the Congress and asked for supplemental funding.  I asked Congress to spend money for spare parts and body armor and fuel.  And we got great support in the halls of Congress.  Matter of fact, that support was so strong that only 12 United States senators voted against the supplemental funding to support our troops in combat, two of whom are my opponent and his running mate.

AUDIENCE:  Booo!

THE PRESIDENT:  When asked about why, he said he said, well, he actually did vote for the $87 billion right before he voted against it.  (Laughter.)  I don't think people talk like that here.  He went on to say, when pressed, that he was proud of his vote, and then he said the whole thing was a complicated matter.  There's nothing complicated about supporting our troops in combat.  (Applause.)

We've had the largest increases in defense spending since Ronald Reagan was the President.  Military pay has gone up by 21 percent since I've been the President.  The housing conditions are better for those who wear our uniform.  Today, I'm going to announce a new proposal to help our men and women activated for duty in the National Guard and Reserves.  These brave Americans put their jobs on hold and leave their family behind when we called.  Yet, under current rules, their education benefits don't reflect the high value of service we place on their time and duty.  My proposal will help correct that by substantially increasing monthly education benefits for all Guard members and Reservists on active duty for more than 90 consecutive days. (Applause.)

As well, we'll help our children of military families meet the challenges of a life on the move.  People are going from base to base, and these moves often conflict with school rules from state to state.  So we're going to put out grant money to help states ease the burden so it's more seamless for families to go from one state to the next, so their education
-- their kids get a great education.  What I'm telling you is we'll continue to stand side by side with those who wear the uniform and the family members of those who wear the uniform.  (Applause.)

In the long run, our security is not guaranteed by force alone.  We will work to change the conditions that give rise to terror:  poverty and hopelessness and resentment.  You see, a free and peaceful Iraq and a free and peaceful Afghanistan will be powerful examples in a part of the world that is desperate for freedom.  Freedom -- free countries do not export terror.  Free countries do not stifle the dreams of their citizens.  I know we've got a mom here whose son is overseas.

I want to tell you, your son is serving during historic times.  By serving the cause of liberty, we're helping others realize their dreams and we're making America more secure.  By serving the cause of liberty, we're spreading peace.  By serving the cause of liberty, we're serving the deepest ideals of our own country.  Americans understand freedom is not America's gift to the world.  Freedom is the Almighty God's gift to each man and woman in this world.  Thank you for your son's service.
(Applause.)

We'll do more to protect our country because there's enemies still out there who hate us.  It's a reality of the times we're in.  My opponent says -- and this is a difference of opinion -- I think you're going to find there's a lot of differences of opinion in this campaign -- (laughter) -- he says that going to war with the terrorists is actually improving their recruiting efforts.  I think the logic -- I know the logic is upside-down. It shows a misunderstanding of the nature of these people.  See, during the 1990s, these killers and terrorists were recruiting and training for war with us, long before we went to war with them.  They don't need an excuse for their hatred.  It's wrong to blame America for anger and the evil of these killers.  We don't create terrorists by fighting back.  You defeat the terrorists by fighting back.  (Applause.)

We've started the hard process of reform in Washington.  I emphasize "hard process."  We've created the new Department of Homeland Security. There's a lot of good people working hard at the federal, state and local level to protect you and the citizens, and I appreciate their hard work. Listen, the Patriot Act is a vital tool for our law enforcement to be able to find these terrorists before they attack again.  (Applause.)  Our FBI -- FBI agents are working overtime.  We're sharing information better than ever before.  We'll continue to work to make sure our intelligence gathering is the best in the world so we can better protect the homeland. And we'll continue to push for reforms in Washington.

But it's not enough to advocate reform; you got to get the job done. That's what this campaign is really all about.  When it comes to reforming schools to provide excellent education for every child, we're getting the job done.  When it comes to available and affordable health care, we're getting the job done.  When it comes to overcoming the obstacles to our economy and creating jobs, we're getting the job done.  When it comes to securing America and spreading freedom and peace, we're getting the job done.  When it comes to electing a President, put somebody back in office who can get the job done.  (Applause.)

THE PRESIDENT:  We're living in exciting times, and these are times of change, and change can be unsettling.  And one way for government to help people during times of change is to make sure there's a lifetime of learning for workers at our community college systems.  Another way to help is to promote an ownership society.  See, we want people owning and managing their own health care accounts, where if they change jobs it goes with them from job to job.  I'm worried about our Social Security system. I'm not worried about it for baby boomers like me.  There's -- the system is solvent.  But if you're a younger worker, I think it's important that you be allowed to have your own personal savings account that you can carry with you throughout your life, to pass generation to generation.
(Applause.)

In changing times I love the idea of more and more Americans owning their own home.  Today the home ownership rate is the highest it's ever been in our nation's history.  Think about this; more and more of our citizens are opening up their door saying, welcome to my home.  Welcome to my piece of property.  I like the idea that more and more people in America are owning their own business.  We'll continue to work for an ownership society in America.  We understand that when you own something, you have a vital stake in the future of our country.

And during these changing times, though, there's some things that won't change:  our belief in liberty and opportunity and the non-negotiable demands of human dignity; the values we try to live by -- courage and compassion, reverence and integrity; the institutions that give us direction and purpose -- our families, our schools, and our religious congregations.  We stand for institutions like marriage and family which are the foundations of our society.  (Applause.)  We stand for a culture of life in which every person matters, and every person counts.  We stand for judges who will faithfully interpret the law instead of legislating from the bench.  (Applause.)

We stand for a culture of responsibility -- listen, the culture of this country is changing from one that has said, if it  feels good, do it, and if you got a problem, blame somebody else, to a culture in which each of us understands we are responsible for the decisions we make in life.  If you're fortunate enough to be a mother or a father, you're responsible for loving your child with all your heart and all your soul.  (Applause.)  If you're worried about the quality of education in this community, you're responsible for doing something about it.  You're responsible for supporting your teachers and your school board members and supporting the schools.  If you're a CEO in corporate America, you are responsible for telling the truth to your shareholders and your employees.  (Applause.) And in a responsibility society, each of us is responsible for loving our neighbor just like we'd like to be loved ourselves.

I'm running for four more years to continue to rally the armies of compassion which exist all across our country.  I understand the limitations of government.  Government can hand out money, but it cannot put hope in a person's heart, or a sense of purpose in a person's life. That happens when a loving soul steps up and says, what can I do for you, how can I help you?  I love you, can I make a difference in your life?

Listen, there are thousands of people all across the country serving this nation by helping somebody who hurts.  To rally the armies of compassion means to call upon our citizens to continue hearing a call, because I understand we can change America one heart, one soul, and once conscience at a time.  (Applause.)

For all Americans these years in our history will always stand apart. There are quiet times in the life of a nation when little is expected of its leaders.  This isn't one of those times.  This is a time where we need firm resolve.  This is a time where we need clear vision.  This is a time where we need steadfast belief in the values that make this country a great country.

You know, I'll never forget the day when one era ended and another began, and I know you won't either.  I was in the ruins of the Twin Towers on September the 14th, 2001.  I clearly remember the workers in hard-hats screaming at me, "Whatever it takes."  I remember shaking people's hands and thanking them, looking in a guy's eyes, they were bloodshot.  He was tired and worn out.  He'd been looking for a buddy in the rubble.  He said, "Do not let me down."  See, he took that day personally.  Everybody searching in the rubble took it personally.  You took it personally, and so did I.  I have a duty that goes on.  I wake up every day thinking about how best to protect this country.  I will never relent in chasing down the enemy and securing America, whatever it takes.  (Applause.)

We've come through a lot together.  We've come through a lot together.  We've done a lot of hard work.  We're making a difference. During the next four years, we'll spread ownership and opportunity throughout every corner of America.  We'll pass the enduring values of our country on to a younger generation.  We'll lead the cause of freedom, and work to spread the peace.

When I campaigned in Wisconsin four years ago, I said, if you give me the high honor of holding this office, I would uphold the dignity and honor of the presidency.  (Applause.)  And with your help, and with your hard work, I will do so for four more years.

God bless.  Thank you all for coming.  (Applause.)  I'm honored you're here.  Thank you all.  (Applause.)

################
gruß
proxi  

4690 Postings, 8728 Tage proxicomiMrs. Bush Thanks Missouri Women for Community Work

20.08.04 01:19
 Wednesday, August 18, 2004
Mrs. Bush Thanks Missouri Women for Community Work, Tells Why "W" Stands for Women

Hilton St. Louis Frontenac Hotel
St. Louis, Missouri

MRS. BUSH: Thank you all. It's so great to be here. I'm so glad to be in St. Louis today with all of you. Thank you, Ann, for your very hard work for the reelection of President Bush.

It's always great to see family and I'm glad that the President's uncle and aunt, Bucky and Patty Bush, are here. They're right over here. (Applause.) And Lindsay Bush, their daughter-in law and our cousin, is here as well. Thank you, Lindsay, thanks for your hard work. (Applause.)

Brenda Talent, I'm so glad you're with us. Senator Talent is a great leader for the people of Missouri, and we're so glad to have his friendship in Washington. (Applause.)

I want to encourage all of you to make sure that Matt Blunt is your next governor. (Applause.) And that Catherine Hanaway is your next Secretary of State. (Applause.) And that Peter Kinder is elected your Lieutenant Governor. (Applause.) Thank you all so much for being here.

I want to thank Reverend Bailey for her invocation, and I want to thank the very talented singers of the Community Elementary School Choir. Thank you all very, very much. (Applause.)

And then to the girls from Spoede Elementary that led the Pledge of Allegiance. Thanks to you all. (Applause.) I know that some of these girls that were either in the choir or in the group that led the Pledge are probably Girl Scouts. My mother was my Girl Scout leader and George's mother was his cub scout leader. (Laughter.) In fact, that's when some say her hair turned white. (Laughter.)

But Scouting, and especially for girls, Girl Scouting teaches important values that help girls become leaders. I learned that -- at an early age, I learned that women can make an incredible difference in our world.

I want to thank each one of you for being a part of the political process and for making a difference in our world. Thanks to every one of you for your politics, but also thanks to you for your community work. I know every single person here is an asset to their community. Thank you all for that. (Applause.)

All of us get to follow in the footsteps of our mothers and our grandmothers who fought for their voices to be heard. And, in fact, tomorrow is the eighty-fourth anniversary of women's suffrage. August 18th, 1920, the 19th Amendment to the Constitution, finally giving women the right to vote. (Applause.)

So as we approach this election in 2004, I want to urge all of you to reach out to your friends and neighbors, to work to make sure people are registered to vote. Don't be afraid to reach across party lines and ask Democrats and independents who appreciate strong leadership. Everything you do to reach voters and to get them to the polls will be a huge help for the President's campaign. And thank you all so much for coming here to be with me today.

Women across America are making important decisions about the future of our country. My husband knows how vitally important empowered women are to democracy. And look at Afghanistan for an example of women who were totally disenfranchised in every way, who weren't even allowed to leave their homes, and now a lot of them are registered to vote in their election. (Applause.)

I'm proud that in my husband's administration, there are more women in senior positions than in any other previous administration. (Applause.) Dr. Condoleezza Rice advises the President on foreign policy and Margaret Spellings is in charge of domestic policy. That means in the White House, women are in charge of everything abroad and everything at home. (Applause.) That sounds about right to me. (Applause.)

And the fact is, it's not just that way in the White House. It's estimated that women make up to 70 percent of their families' financial and health care decisions. All issues are women's issues and we have a lot at stake in this election.

We want our economy to be strong and for all women to have the opportunity to work if they want to. We want our children and our communities to be safe. We want every child in every neighborhood to learn to read. And we want women the world over to be educated. These are the goals President Bush has worked so hard to achieve, and he is committed to making our country safer, stronger and better.

George and I grew up in the same small town, in Midland, Texas. His family just lived about four blocks away from mine, but we didn't really meet until much later in life. Little did I know that I would literally marry the boy next door. (Laughter.)

It was in West Texas that George learned the values of hard work and family and integrity. And after 27 years of marriage, my husband still has those values. And I can tell you that President Bush has the courage and the character that these times demand. (Applause.)

I love it that women can whistle, too. (Laughter.) That's terrific.

When the President took office, he was committed to achieving great goals on behalf of all Americans. But little could we have imagined how challenging these last few years would be. But because of his steady leadership, we've overcome some of the toughest challenges in our history. And, with your support, President Bush will keep America moving forward. He'll start by making tax relief permanent. (Applause.)

The President's tax relief plan is putting more money into the hands of millions of people across America, including 2 million people here in Missouri. Families with children, married couples and single mothers are saving more of their own money. More than 80 million women will save an average of nearly $1,900 each in taxes this year.

In some families, tax relief means more money to pay the monthly bills. In other families, it means money to start a college fund for their children or a retirement fund for themselves. And for small business owners, tax relief means expanding operations and adding new jobs. (Applause.)

These millions of individual decisions that families are making across the country are lifting our economy. More Americans than ever before own their own homes. In fact, we set a new record this year. More than half of all minority families now own their own homes. (Applause.)

Over one-and-a-half million new jobs have been created since last July 2003. And in Missouri alone, you've added more than 82,000 jobs since July. The record is clear. Because of the President's sound economic policies, the economy is strong and getting stronger. But we have more work to do. The President won't be satisfied until every person who wants to work can find a job. He won't be satisfied until ownership and opportunity are spread to every corner of America. (Applause.)

And the President wants to help workers and families keep something that they never seem to have enough of, and that's time. Time to play with their kids, time to take care of their parents or to volunteer in their communities. President Bush will work with Congress to make flex time and comp time available so that more Americans can better manage the demands of work and family.

President Bush also knows that reliable health care is vital to every family's economic security. No one can feel confident about the future if they fear that their next illness might wipe out their savings and leave them in debt. The President worked with Congress to add a prescription drug benefit to Medicare to help seniors afford their medicines. Already, more than four million seniors have signed up for their prescription drug discount card. And the President expanded the system of community health care centers so that more people can receive health care regardless of their ability to pay.

And because frivolous lawsuits raised the cost of health care, the President wants to reform the medical liability system. (Applause.) The growing crisis of medical liability is a particular concern to women. Obstetricians have some of the highest liability premiums of all. And as their rates go up, doctors are retiring or relocating because they can't afford to practice medicine. Women who've spent years building a trusting relationship with their OB/GYN are left searching for a new doctor, sometimes while they wait for the arrival of a new baby. We need medical liability reform. (Applause.)

Another issue that's close to the President's heart and to mine is education. My husband worked to change public education in America because too many children from our poorest schools were being left behind. With the No Child Left Behind Act, which was passed overwhelmingly by Congress, we're investing more money in elementary and secondary education than ever before in our nation's history.

The No Child Left Behind Act combines historic levels of funding with proven methods of instruction, high standards and accountability to ensure that our schools produce real results for every child. Today, more students are graduating high school well prepared to go on to college or to the new jobs of the 21st century.

As we strengthen our schools and our communities, we're also sharing the blessings of liberty with our neighbors abroad. The terrible acts of September 11th showed us the face of evil in the world, but they also called us to the great work of promoting freedom and democracy. Since that fateful day President Bush has worked to make our communities safer. We're confronting terrorist threats around the world. And today, thanks to the President's leadership and the resolve of the men and women of our military, 50 million more men, women and children live in freedom. (Applause.)

Consider the women and girls of Afghanistan. During the long years of the Taliban regime, they were virtual prisoners in their homes, unable to leave without a male escort. They couldn't go to the doctor if they were sick. They faced having their fingernails pulled out if they wore nail polish. And today, Afghan women are working again -- many are even running their own businesses. Some women are learning to read and write. They're becoming the greatest advocates for their daughters' education.

In March, nearly 6 million Afghan children, including more than 2 million girls, started a new school year. And this year, Afghan women will have the opportunity to vote in the presidential election. In fact, nearly 10 million Afghans have registered to vote, and more than 40 percent are women. (Applause.)

And, as we've seen this week, Afghan women are proudly representing their country in the Olympics. (Applause.)

In Iraq, women are taking courses in human rights, literacy and computer training. More women are receiving health care, including maternal and child health. And women's self-help and vocational centers are springing up across Iraq from Karbala to Kirkuk.

We still face many challenges, of course. But we know that the work of building a democracy isn't easy, but it is always right. We know this from our own history, and we know this from the history of the Central European emerging democracies. To make the world more peaceful and to make the world more secure, we'll continue the great work of promoting liberty and opportunity in the Middle East. (Applause.)

I'm proud of my husband for taking action to meet the challenges that America faces at home and abroad. (Applause.) When our girls were in high school, they'd sometimes complain about having to study history. Their dad majored in history and he loved to explain the importance of past events and how they impacted us today. One day, one of them looked at him impatiently and said, "Of course ancient history was easy for you, Dad; you lived it." (Laughter.)

We are living in historic times. These are also very hopeful times for our country. We're moving America forward and we have great confidence in our ability to overcome challenges. These are times that require a particularly strong and determined leader, and I'm proud that my husband is that kind of leader. (Applause.)

Thank you very much. Thank you for working hard to reelect President Bush. Thank you for your friendship. May God bless you, and may God bless America. (Applause.)

###############
gruß
proxi

4690 Postings, 8728 Tage proxicomiDemocrats for Bush Chairman Sen. Zell Miller

28.08.04 19:26
Wednesday, August 25, 2004
Democrats for Bush Chairman Sen. Zell Miller (D-GA) Announces Growing Grassroots Team

ARLINGTON, VA -- Democrats for Bush Chairman Senator Zell Miller (D-GA) announced today that Democrats for Bush now has over 400 Leadership Team Members and 3,000 Grassroots Supporters.  The Leadership Team includes 75 current or former Democrat elected officials - a diverse group united by their support for President Bush's agenda of making our economy stronger and our nation more secure.   The Democrats for Bush Leadership Team is talking with Democrats across America about how the President's historic tax cuts and pro-growth policies are benefiting families, seniors and small businesses.  

"We each have our own reasons for rallying behind the President--whether it is the leadership he has provided in the War on Terror, reducing the tax burden for families and businesses, or standing firm to strengthen American families.   We are all Democrats and we all agree these times demand a President that provides steady, consistent leadership in changing and challenging times and that man is President George W. Bush," said Senator Miller.

Mayor George M. McKelvey (D-Youngstown, OH), who has also endorsed the President, "My first priority is not partisanship, but is the well-being of Youngstown and the nation.  President Bush has led with conviction and with a clarity of vision that Republicans and Democrats can value -- the President deserves this Democrat's vote and support and he has it."

National Leadership Team Members of Democrats for Bush include:
Doug Barnard, Former Congressman, GA
Robert Allen Blankenship, Retired Sheriff of Faulkner County, AR
Bill Brewster, Former Congressman, OK
David Butler II, Mayor of Woodworth, LA
Doug Darling, Michigan Agriculture Commissioner, MI
David Dermer, Mayor of Miami Beach, FL
Bill Drew, Former President of the Milwaukee City Council, WI
Dick Kimbler, Former President of the United Mine Workers of America Labor Union,* WV
Paul T. McCommons, Vice President of Pennsylvania Fraternal Order of Police,* PA
Jim Naugle, Mayor of Fort Lauderdale, FL
Tim Sheldon, State Senator, WA
James Stanton, Former Congressman, OH
Robin Tallon, Former Congressman, SC
James Harold Thompson, Former Speaker of the State House, FL
C. Vincent Townsend, Past President of the Eastern Panhandle Medical Society * and West Virginia Heart Association *, WV
Larry Townsend, Former State Democrat Party Chairman, KY
William White, Former Chief of Staff to Senator John Glenn, OH

* Group affiliation listed for identification purposes only and does not imply any endorsement.

###############
gruß
proxi  

4690 Postings, 8728 Tage proxicomiBush and Giuliani Rally New Mexicans

30.08.04 00:21
Thursday, August 26, 2004
Bush and Giuliani Rally New Mexicans; "Much at Stake" in This Election

New Mexico State University
Pan American Center
Las Cruces, New Mexico

THE PRESIDENT: Thanks for coming. (Applause.) Vamos a ganar. (Applause.) Thanks for coming. It's great to be here. I am proud to be traveling with my friend, Rudy Giuliani. (Applause.) This is a part of the world, Rudy, where the boots outnumber the suits. (Applause.) Nice to be in country where the cowboy hats outnumber the ties. (Applause.)

I appreciate so many people showing up. I'm here to ask for the vote. (Applause.) I believe it's important to get out and ask for the vote. I believe it's important to travel this great state and our country talking about where I intend to lead the country. And I'm so proud to be traveling with a man who is a strong leader, a man who brought calm to the citizens of New York City during a tragic day, a man who helped lift the spirit of that important part of our country, Rudy Giuliani. (Applause.)

I told Rudy, I said, Rudy, we're in good country here in Las Cruces. I said, I know this part of the state well. You might remember I used to be the governor of your neighbor. (Applause.) I told Rudy, I said, I've been to Las Cruces a lot, and here in Las Cruces, you're going to find some really fine people. (Applause.) And after here, we're off to Farmington, and then back down to Albuquerque. We're taking this state seriously. With your help we'll carry New Mexico. With your help we'll carry the country in November. (Applause.)

I'm sorry Laura is not here.

AUDIENCE: Awww --

THE PRESIDENT: No, I understand. I kissed her good-bye in Crawford this morning, and I said, I've got to go to work. (Laughter.) She said, you get over to New Mexico and you remind them her kinfolk were raised right down the road in Anthony. (Applause.) I'm proud of Laura. She's a great mom, a wonderful wife. (Applause.) I'll give you some reasons why I think you ought to put me back in, but perhaps the most important one of all is so Laura is the First Lady for four more years. (Applause.)

I'm real proud of my running mate, Dick Cheney. He is a fine man. (Applause.) I picked him not necessarily because he's the prettiest face in America. (Laughter.) I picked him because he can get the job done. I picked him for his experience and his judgment. (Applause.) And I'm proud to be running with him, proud to call him friend, and proud to call him running mate.

I'm also proud to be working with a great United States Senator in Pete Domenici. Pete is a -- (applause) -- he's a close friend. He's a great New Mexican. He's a wonderful person. He is on vacation. I wish he and Nancy a well-deserved rest. I'm proud also to be here with the United States Congressman, Steve Pearce. (Applause.) I'm glad you brought Cynthia. It's good to see you both, proud to work with you. I'm glad the Mayor is here. Bill Mattiace. Mr. Mayor, thanks for coming -- fill the potholes. (Applause.)

I appreciate Ted Scanlon and los Desperados for playing here today. (Applause.) I appreciate Mariachi Espuelas de Plata. I'm glad they were here, and thank you all for coming. (Applause.) Most of all, I want to thank the grassroots activists who are with us today. I want to thank Al Solis, who is the party chairman from Dona Ana County. (Applause.) I want to thank the people who put up the signs and make the phone calls. I ask you to register your friends and neighbors to vote. (Applause.)

We have a duty in this country to vote. We have an obligation in a free society to show up to the polls. Please do your duty and get people to vote. (Applause.) Get them into those polls. (Applause.) Obviously, when you're working to gather the vote, I've got a preference. (Laughter.) In order to keep this country safer, stronger, and better put Dick and I back into office. (Applause.)

We've been through a lot together in the last four years, and we've accomplished a great deal, but there's only reason to look backward at the record, and that is who best to lead us forward. That's what I want to talk about. I want to remind you we have much at stake in this election, and we have more to do to move America forward. We have more to do to create jobs and improve our schools. We have more to do to fight terror, to protect the homeland. We have more to do to spread freedom and peace. We've made much progress. I'm here to tell you I'm ready for the job. I'm ready to accomplish more for the American people. (Applause.)

We have more to do to make America's public schools the centers of excellence we know they all can be so no child is left behind. (Applause.) You might remember when we came to office three-and-a-half years ago, children were being shuffled from grade to grade, year after year, without learning the basics. So we challenged the soft bigotry of low expectations. We've raised the bar. We believe in local control of schools. But we believe in accountability so we can determine whether every child is learning to read and write and add and subtract. (Applause.)

We have more to do. I understand this is a changing world we live in and, therefore, the jobs of the future will require more knowledge. We've got to expand math and science in our high schools. We need early intervention programs to make sure high school kids can read, write, add and subtract. We want to make sure the high school diploma means something. Over the next four years, a rising generation will have the skills and confidence necessary to realize the American Dream. (Applause.)

We have more to do to make quality health care available and affordable. Listen, when we came to office, too many older Americans could not afford prescription drugs and the Medicare didn't pay for them. You might remember those old debates about Medicare -- oh, just elect me, something is going to get done. But year after year, those promises were empty. We got the job done. We've strengthened Medicare for our seniors. (Applause.)

There's more to do. We've expanded quality care through community health centers for low-income Americans. We've created health savings accounts so families can save tax-free for their own health care needs. When it comes to making -- giving Americans more choices, more control over their lives, we're making progress. We're not turning back.

There's more to do over the next four years. Most people get their health insurance through small businesses, and yet, small businesses are having trouble providing health coverage. To help more Americans get health insurance, we must allow small employers to join together to purchase insurance at the discounts that big companies get in America. (Applause.)

We'll use technology to reduce costs and prevent mistakes. We'll expand research to seek new cures for deadly diseases. And to make sure you've got affordable and available health care here in New Mexico, we need medical liability reform. (Applause.) These frivolous lawsuits are running up the cost of health care and they're running good docs out of business. See, I don't think you can be -- I don't think you can be pro-patient and pro-doctor and pro-trial lawyer at the same time. (Applause.) I think you have to choose. My opponent made his choice and he put him on the ticket. I made my choice: I am for medical liability reform. (Applause.)

We have more to do to make this economy stronger. Listen, we've been through a lot, this economy. Think about it. We went through a recession; the stock market decline; we've been through attacks; we've had corporate scandals. But we've overcome these obstacles. We've overcome them because the American workers are the best in the world. We've overcome it because our farmers and ranchers know what they're doing. We've overcome it -- (applause.) We've overcome these obstacles because the entrepreneurial spirit is strong and the small business sector of our economy is vibrant. I also think we've overcome it because of well-timed tax cuts. (Applause.)

When you're talking to your friends and neighbors, just remember to tell them we've helped American families by raising the child credit. We've helped America's families by reducing the marriage penalty. (Applause.) By the way, the tax code ought to encourage marriage, not penalize marriage. (Applause.) We helped small businesses, and this time the check actually was in the mail. (Applause.)

Because we acted, our economy since last summer has grown at a rate as fast as any in nearly 20 years. Because we acted, we've created about 1.5 million new jobs over the past 12 months. (Applause.) Because we acted, the national unemployment rate is 5.5 percent. Because we acted, the unemployment rate in your great state is 5.3 percent. Because we acted, the people of this country are working. (Applause.)

There's more work to be done. In order to make sure American jobs stay here in America, we need less regulations on our employers. You ask your small business neighbor what it's like to fill out the paperwork, they'll say it's quite onerous. My problem is I can't promise anybody in Washington has ever read the paperwork.

We need tort reform to keep jobs here in America. To make sure people can find good work here at home, we need an energy policy. We need to become less dependent on foreign sources of energy. (Applause.) In order to keep jobs here at home, we got to make sure other nations treat us in trade the way we treat them. (Applause.) Our markets are open for other -- for products from other countries because it's good for consumers. And all we're saying is, just make sure you open up your markets. We can compete with anybody, anyplace, anywhere with fair rules. (Applause.)

AUDIENCE: Four more years! Four more years! Four more years!

THE PRESIDENT: In order to make sure -- in order to make sure jobs stay here, we got to make sure our workers gain the skills necessary to fill the jobs of the 21st century. That's why I believe so strongly in our community college system, to make sure that there's money available, that the colleges are affordable for people all across America to be able to match their desire to work with the skills necessary to fill the new jobs. (Applause.)

In order to make sure we keep jobs here in America, we got to keep your taxes low. (Applause.) And we got to be wise about how we spend your money. I'm running against a fellow who has already made over $2.2 trillion worth of new promises. And we're just getting started. We're coming down the stretch. You know how tempting it is to get out in front of people and make promise after promise, but he hasn't told us how he's going to pay for it. Well, he said he's just going to tax the rich. You've heard that kind of language before, haven't you?

AUDIENCE: Yesss --

THE PRESIDENT: Yes. Just remember why we got all those accountants and lawyers out there. There's not enough money to tax the rich to pay for all his promises. If he gets elected, he's going to tax you. But the good news is we're not going to let him get elected. (Applause.)

We have more to do to wage and win the war against terror. We have more to do to keep this country secure. See, our future depends on our willingness to lead in the world. If America shows uncertainty and weakness in this decade, the world will drift toward tragedy. This will not happen on my watch. (Applause.)

The world changed on a terrible September morning, and since that day, we have changed the world. Before September the 11th, Afghanistan served as the home base of al Qaeda, which trained and deployed thousands of killers to set up cells all around the world, including our own country. Today, because America acted, Afghanistan is a rising democracy. Over ten million people have registered to vote in that country. (Applause.) Afghanistan is an ally in the war on terror. Many young girls now go to school for the first time, because we acted. (Applause.) And America and the world are safer. (Applause.)

Before September 11th, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia didn't take al Qaeda seriously. Today, they are allies in the war on terror, and America and the world are safer. (Applause.) Before September the 11th, Libya was spending millions to acquire weapons of mass destruction. Because America and our allies sent a strong and easy-to-understand message, the leader of Libya abandoned his pursuit of weapons of mass destruction, and America and the world are safer. (Applause.)

Before September the 11th, the ruler of Iraq was a sworn enemy of America. He was defying the world. You might remember, he was firing weapons at American pilots who were enforcing the world's sanctions. He purchased and used weapons of mass destruction. He invaded his neighbors. He had harbored terrorists. He subsidized the families of suicide bombers. He murdered tens of thousands of his own citizens. He was a source of great instability --

MEMBER OF AUDIENCE: He's not doing it anymore! (Applause.)

THE PRESIDENT: He was a source of great instability. I saw a threat. One of the lessons of September the 11th that we must always remember is that we must take threats seriously, before they fully materialize. (Applause.) Remembering that lesson, I went to the United States Congress; I said, I see a threat. They looked at the intelligence, they looked at Saddam's history, they came to the same conclusion I did, including my opponent. I went to the United Nations -- I went to the United Nations because this country must always try diplomacy first. I went to the U.N. I said, we see a threat. They looked at the same intelligence. They remembered the same history of Saddam Hussein. And as they had for over a decade, they demanded a full accounting, a disposal of his weapons and weapons programs, or face serious consequences. That's what they said. The world spoke.

As he had for over a decade, Saddam Hussein defied the world. He said, I don't care what you say. We then sent inspectors into his country. He systematically deceived the inspectors. So I had a choice to make. Do I forget the lessons of September the 11th, and trust the word of a madman, or take action to defend America. Given that choice, I will defend our country every time. (Applause.)

Even though we didn't find the stockpiles we expected to find, Saddam had the capability of making weapons. And he had the -- and he had the willingness to pass that capability -- or he could have had the willingness to pass that capability on to our enemy. It's a risk we could not afford to take after September the 11th. (Applause.) Knowing what I know today, I would have made the same decision -- America and the world are safer. (Applause.)

Now, almost after -- two years after he voted for the war in Iraq, and seven months after switching positions to declare himself the anti-war candidate, my opponent has found a new nuance: He now agrees it was the right decision to go into Iraq. After months of questioning my motives and even my credibility, my opponent now agrees with me that even though we've not found the stockpile of weapons we all thought were there, knowing everything we know today, he would have voted to go into Iraq and remove Saddam Hussein. I want to thanks the Senator for clearing that up. (Applause.) There's still a little over 60 days for him to change his mind again. (Laughter.)

I'm running because I understand we have more to do. We will continue to work with our friends and allies around the world to aggressively pursue the terrorists in Afghanistan and Iraq and elsewhere. See, you can't talk sense to these people. You cannot negotiate with them. You cannot hope for the best. We must engage them around the world so we do not have to face them here at home. (Applause.)

America will continue to lead the world with confidence and moral clarity. We have put together a strong coalition to help us defeat terror. There are nearly 40 nations involved in Afghanistan, some 30 nations involved in Iraq, 60 nations involved in the Proliferation Security Initiative. I'll continue to work to build alliances and work with our friends for the sake of freedom and peace. But I'll never turn over America's national security decisions to leaders of other countries. (Applause.)

We'll keep our commitments to help Afghanistan and Iraq become peaceful, democratic societies. Those two nations are now governed by strong leaders, people committed to the aspirations of their people. We have a clear goal in those two countries, to help them develop a peaceful democratic country that will be an ally in the war on terror. It's in our national interest that they become peaceful, free countries. And to help them meet that goal, we're training Afghan forces and Iraqi forces so they can do the hard work of securing their country, so they can fight the terrorists who want to stop -- (applause.)

Our military will complete this mission as quickly as possible so our troops do not stay a day longer than necessary. (Applause.) The thing about our troops in these crucial times, our commitments are kept by the men and women who wear our nation's uniform. (Applause.) At bases across our country and around the world, I've had the privilege of meeting with those who defend our security and defend our freedom. I've seen their great decency and their unselfish courage. I assure you, ladies and gentlemen, the cause of liberty is in great hands. (Applause.) I want to thank the veterans who are here today for setting such a great example for those who -- (applause.)

I made a commitment to our troops and to the families of our troops, that they will have the resources they need to fight and win the war on terror. Last September, while our troops were in combat in Afghanistan and Iraq, I proposed supplemental funding to support them in their mission. The legislation provided funding for body armor and vital equipment, hazard pay, health benefits, ammunition, fuel and spare parts for our military. (Applause.) We received great bipartisan support for that important spending. Matter of fact, the support was so strong that only 12 members of the United States Senate voted against it. Two of them are my opponent and his running mate.

AUDIENCE: Booo!

THE PRESIDENT: The Senator tried to explain his vote by saying this: "I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it." Now, he's offering a different explanation. Originally, he said he was proud of the vote. And then when pressed, he said it was just a complicated matter. There's nothing complicated about supporting our troops in combat. (Applause.)

In the long run, our security is not guaranteed by force alone. We must work to change the conditions that give rise to terror -- poverty and hopelessness and resentment. A free and peaceful Iraq, a free and peaceful Afghanistan will be powerful examples in a neighborhood that is desperate for liberty. Free countries do not export terror. Free countries do not stifle the dreams of their own citizens. By serving the ideal of liberty, we're bringing hope to others, and that makes America more secure. By serving the ideal of liberty, we're spreading peace. By serving the ideal of liberty, we're serving the values we hold dear to our heart. We understand that freedom is not America's gift to the world; freedom is the Almighty God's gift to every person in this world. (Applause.)

We have more to do to protect America. There are enemies out there that still are plotting to harm us. See, my opponent said something I thought was -- showed the contrast between our visions. He said that the war with the terrorists is actually improving their recruiting efforts. I think the logic is upside-down. I think it shows a misunderstanding of the nature of these people. See, during the 1990s, the terrorists were recruiting and training for war with us, long before we went to war with them. They don't need an excuse for their hatred. I think it's wrong to blame the actions of this country for the evil of the killers. (Applause.) You don't create terrorists by fighting back; you defeat the terrorists by fighting back. (Applause.)

We have more work to do, as the 9/11 Commission report said. It said America -- it said, America -- the actions we've take have made America safer, but not yet safe. I agree. And that's why we're pushing hard for reforms in Washington, D.C. -- intelligence reforms. That's why we created the Department of Homeland Security, so agencies talk better, so that Washington now talks better with New Mexico, and New Mexico talks better with Las Cruces -- the great first responders here in this part of the world. (Applause.) We passed the Patriot Act, which is a vital tool for our law enforcement to disrupt terrorist cells before they attack in America. (Applause.)

We got a lot of good people working on your behalf to secure the homeland. I want to thank them -- continually thank them for their hard work. We're working hard to achieve reform in Washington, but it's not easy over there in Washington to achieve reform. There's a lot of entrenched interests. There's a lot of people willing to defend the status quo. It's not enough to advocate reform, you have to be able to get the job done.

When you're out there campaigning on my behalf, remember, when it comes to reforming schools to provide excellent education for every child, we're getting the job done. (Applause.) When it comes for health care reforms to give our families and our seniors more access and more choices, we're getting the job done. (Applause.) When it comes to improving our economy, we're getting the job done. (Applause.) When it comes to better securing our homeland, fighting the forces of terror, and spreading freedom and peace, we're getting the job done. (Applause.) Remind your friends and neighbors that when it comes time to elect a President, put somebody in there who can get the job done. (Applause.)

This is a time of rapid change for our country, and it's an exciting time to be an American. Change can sometimes create instability. And government ought to recognize that and stand side-by-side with workers and families. The role of government is not to give you orders; the role of government is to help you have the tools necessary to be able to realize your dreams. And one way to do that is to continue to promote an ownership society in America. (Applause.) We want workers to be able to own their own health care accounts, so they can take them from job to job, if they change jobs.

Listen, I see a lot of younger folks here, I want to thank you all for coming. (Applause.) You ought to be listening very carefully to the debate on Social Security. Baby boomers like me are just fine when it comes to Social Security. Younger workers need to be concerned about the fiscal sanity and fiscal stability of Social Security. I believe younger workers ought to be able to own a personal retirement account they call their own, so they can pass it on from one generation to the next. (Applause.)

We want to create the conditions so more people own their own business. The entrepreneurial spirit is strong in America; I intend to keep it that way. Listen, one of the great statistics of the modern era is more people -- the home ownership rate in America is at an all-time high. (Applause.) We want to encourage -- we want more people owning their own home. There's nothing better when somebody opens the door and says, welcome to my home. (Applause.) I believe in encouraging ownership because I know if you own something, you have a vital stake in the future of our country.

In this changing world, there are some things that will not change: our belief in liberty and opportunity and the non-negotiable demands of human dignity. I believe the individual values we try to live by -- courage and compassion, reverence and integrity, hard work and duty. I believe in the institutions that give us purpose and direction: our families, our schools, and our religious congregations. (Applause.)

We stand for institutions like marriage and family, which are the foundations of society. (Applause.) We stand for a culture of life in which every person matters and every person counts. (Applause.) We stand for judges who faithfully interpret the law, instead of legislating from the bench. (Applause.) We stand for a culture of responsibility in America. The culture of this country is changing from one that has said, if it feels good, do it, and if you've got a problem, blame somebody else, to a culture in which each of us understands we're responsible for the decisions we make in life.

If you're fortunate enough to be a mother or a father, you're responsible for loving your child with all your heart and all your soul. (Applause.) If you're worried about the quality of the education in the community in which you live, you're responsible for doing something about it. If you're a CEO in corporate America, you're responsible for telling the truth to your shareholders and your employees. (Applause.) And in this responsibility society, each of us is responsible for loving our neighbor, just like we'd like to be loved ourselves. (Applause.)

I'm running for four more years to continue to rally the armies of compassion which exist all across our country. I'm running to -- because I understand the role of government is limited. See, government cannot hand out money, but it cannot put hope in a person's heart or a sense of purpose in a person's life. That's done when a loving soul puts their arm around somebody that hurts and says, I love you, how can I help you? See, I believe strongly American society can change one heart, one soul, one conscience at a time, by rallying the true strength of America, which is the hearts and souls of the American people. (Applause.)

For all Americans, these years in our history will stand apart. There are quiet times in the life of a nation when little is expected of its leaders. This isn't one of those times. This is a time where we need firm resolve, strong believe in the values that make us a great nation.

None of us will ever forget that week when one era ended and another began. On September the 14th, with Rudy by my side, I stood in the ruins of the Twin Towers. It's a day I will never forget. There were workers in hard-hats yelling at me, "Whatever it takes!" A fellow just came out of the rubble, he had bloodshot eyes -- he looked at me right in the eye and said, "Do not let me down." He took that day personally. Everybody -- (applause.) I wake up every morning thinking about how to better protect our country. I will never relent in defending America, whatever it takes. (Applause.)

We've come through much together. The last years, we have come through a lot. We have done a lot of hard work. There's more to be done. We will spread opportunity and ownership to every corner of America. We will pass enduring values of our country to another generation. We will lead the cause of peace and freedom. And we will prevail. (Applause.)

Four years ago, I traveled your great state and our country, when I was asking for the vote. I made a pledge to our fellow Americans that if you honored me with this great responsibility, I would uphold the honor and the dignity of the office to which I had been elected. With your help -- and with your help, I will do so for four more years.

Thanks for coming, and God bless. (Applause.) Thank you all. Thank you all.

#################
gruß
proxi  

69033 Postings, 7583 Tage BarCodeThanks for posting, and God bless. (Applause.) o. T.

30.08.04 00:25

10665 Postings, 7377 Tage lumpensammlerproxi

30.08.04 01:21
ist dir eigentlich schon einmal aufgefallen, dass wir hier in Deutschland und deswegen nicht für die USA wahlberechtigt sind?

Falls nicht, nochmals in aller Deutlichkeit: Deine Wahlkampfhilfe für den texanischen Kuhhirten fällt hier auf relativ fruchtlosen Boden.

PS: Wußtest du, dass die Tochter des amerikanischen Vizepräsidenten eine Lesbe ist und dessen Wahlkampf managt, obwohl die REPs die Homosexuellenrechte einschränken wollen. Will sagen: Wie bescheuert resp. verlogen muß man eigentlich sein, um in dieser Partei zu sein?  

4690 Postings, 8728 Tage proxicomiDanke Lumpensammler

30.08.04 01:25
deine aufgeregtheit betsätigt meine postings.

oder hast du sorge, daß es hier noch mehrere menschen gibt, ohne tumben linken usa-hass?

#############
gruß
proxi

10665 Postings, 7377 Tage lumpensammlerWie gut kennst du eigentlich die USA? o. T.

30.08.04 01:30

4690 Postings, 8728 Tage proxicomiSehr gut!

30.08.04 01:45

10665 Postings, 7377 Tage lumpensammlerAlso gar nicht, muß ich annehmen

30.08.04 01:49
Wieso sprichst du dann andauernd über etwas, von dem du keine Ahnung hast? Meine Mühe ist wahrscheinlich genauso zwecklos wie der Versuch, Papageien das Plappern abzugewöhnen.  

4690 Postings, 8728 Tage proxicomiMayor Rudy Giuliani Pays Tribute to the Courage

31.08.04 23:03
Monday, August 30, 2004
Mayor Rudy Giuliani Pays Tribute to the Courage of the American People and the Strength of a President

Republican National Convention
New York, New York

(Remarks as prepared for delivery.)

Welcome to the capital of the World.

New York was the first capital of our great nation. It was here in 1789 in lower Manhattan that George Washington took the oath of office as the first President of the United States.

It was here in 2001 in lower Manhattan that President George W. Bush stood amid the fallen towers of the World Trade Center and said to the barbaric terrorists who attacked us, "They will hear from us."

They have heard from us!

They heard from us in Afghanistan and we removed the Taliban.

They heard from us in Iraq and we ended Saddam Hussein's reign of terror.

They heard from us in Libya and without firing a shot Qadhafi abandoned weapons of mass destruction.

They are hearing from us in nations that are now more reluctant to sponsor terrorists.

So long as George Bush is President, is there any doubt they will continue to hear from us until we defeat global terrorism.

We owe that much and more to those loved ones and heroes we lost on September 11th.

The families of some of those we lost on September 11th are here with us. To them, and all those families affected by September 11th, we recognize the sacrifices your loved ones and you have made. You are in our prayers and we are in your debt.
This is the first Republican Convention ever held in New York City.

It makes a statement that New York City and America are open for business and stronger than ever.

We're not going to let the threat of terrorism stop us from leading our lives.

From the first Republican President, Abraham Lincoln, to President George W. Bush our party's great contribution is to expand freedom in our own land and all over the world.

And our party is at its best when it makes certain that we have a powerful national defense in a still very dangerous world.

I don't believe we're right about everything and Democrats are wrong about everything.

Neither party has a monopoly on virtue.

But I do believe that there are times in our history when our ideas are more necessary and important for what we are facing.

There are times when leadership is the most important.

On September 11, this city and our nation faced the worst attack in our history.

On that day, we had to confront reality. For me, standing below the north tower and looking up and seeing the flames of hell and then realizing that I was actually seeing a man a human being jumping from the 101st or 102nd floor drove home to me that we were facing something beyond anything we had ever faced before.

We had to concentrate all of our energy, faith and hope to get through those first hours and days.

And I will always remember that moment as we escaped the building we were trapped in at 75 Barclay Street and realized that things outside might be even worse than they were inside the building.

We did the best we could to communicate a message of calm and hope, as we stood on the pavement seeing a massive cloud rushing through the cavernous streets of lower Manhattan.

Our people were so brave in their response.

At the time, we believed we would be attacked many more times that day and in the days that followed. Spontaneously, I grabbed the arm of then Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik and said to Bernie, "Thank God George Bush is our President."

And I say it again tonight, "Thank God George Bush is our President."

On September 11, George W. Bush had been President less than eight months. This new President, Vice President, and new administration were faced with the worst crisis in our history.

President Bush's response in keeping us unified and in turning the ship of state around from being solely on defense against terrorism to being on offense as well and for his holding us together.

For that and then his determined effort to defeat global terrorism, no matter what happens in this election, President George W. Bush already has earned a place in our history as a great American President.

But let's not wait for history to present the correct view of our President. Let us write our own history.

We need George Bush now more than ever.

The horror, the shock and the devastation of those attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and over the skies of Pennsylvania lifted a cloud from our eyes.

We stood face to face with those people and forces who hijacked not just airplanes but a religion and turned it into a creed of terrorism dedicated to eradicating us and our way of life.

Terrorism did not start on September 11, 2001. It had been festering for many years.

And the world had created a response to it that allowed it to succeed. The attack on the Israeli team at the Munich Olympics was in 1972. And the pattern had already begun.

The three surviving terrorists were arrested and within two months released by the German government.

Action like this became the rule, not the exception.

Terrorists came to learn they could attack and often not face consequences.

In 1985, terrorists attacked the Achille Lauro and murdered an American citizen who was in a wheelchair, Leon Klinghoffer.

They marked him for murder solely because he was Jewish.

Some of those terrorist were released and some of the remaining terrorists allowed to escape by the Italian government because of fear of reprisals.

So terrorists learned they could intimidate the world community and too often the response, particularly in Europe, was "accommodation, appeasement and compromise."

And worse the terrorists also learned that their cause would be taken more seriously, almost in direct proportion to the barbarity of the attack.

Terrorist acts became a ticket to the international bargaining table.

How else to explain Yasser Arafat winning the Nobel Peace Prize when he was supporting a terrorist plague in the Middle East that undermined any chance of peace?

Before September 11, we were living with an unrealistic view of the world much like our observing

Europe appease Hitler or trying to accommodate ourselves to peaceful co-existence with the Soviet Union through mutually assured destruction.

President Bush decided that we could no longer be just on defense against global terrorism but we must also be on offense.

On September 20, 2001, President Bush stood before a joint session of Congress, a still grieving and shocked nation and a confused world and he did change the direction of our ship of state.

He dedicated America under his leadership to destroying global terrorism.

The President announced the Bush Doctrine when he said: "Our war on terror begins with Al Qaeda, but it does not end there.

It will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated.

"Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists."

And since September 11th President Bush has remained rock solid.

It doesn't matter how he is demonized.

It doesn't matter what the media does to ridicule him or misinterpret him or defeat him.

They ridiculed Winston Churchill. They belittled Ronald Reagan.

But like President Bush, they were optimists; leaders must be optimists. Their vision was beyond the present and set on a future of real peace and true freedom.

Some call it stubbornness. I call it principled leadership.

President Bush has the courage of his convictions.

In choosing a President, we really don't choose a Republican or Democrat, a conservative or liberal.

We choose a leader.

And in times of danger, as we are now in, Americans should put leadership at the core of their decision.

There are many qualities that make a great leader but having strong beliefs, being able to stick with them through popular and unpopular times, is the most important characteristic of a great leader.

Winston Churchill saw the dangers of Hitler while his opponents characterized him as a war-mongering gadfly.

Ronald Reagan saw and described the Soviet Union as "the evil empire" while world opinion accepted it as inevitable and belittled Ronald Reagan's intelligence.

President Bush sees world terrorism for the evil that it is.

John Kerry has no such clear, precise and consistent vision.

This is not a personal criticism of John Kerry.

I respect him for his service to our nation.

But it is important to see the contrast in approach between the two men;

President Bush, a leader who is willing to stick with difficult decisions even as public opinion shifts, and John Kerry, whose record in elected office suggests a man who changes his position often even on important issues.

When Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in 1990, John Kerry voted against the Persian Gulf War. Later he said he actually supported the war.

Then in 2002, as he was calculating his run for President, he voted for the war in Iraq.

And then just 9 months later, he voted against an $87 billion supplemental budget to fund the war and support our troops.

He even, at one point, declared himself an anti-war candidate. Now, he says he's pro-war. At this rate, with 64 days left, he still has time to change his position at least three or four more times.

My point about John Kerry being inconsistent is best described in his own words when he said, "I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it."

Maybe this explains John Edwards' need for two Americas - - one where John Kerry can vote for something and another where he can vote against the same thing.

Yes, people in public office at times do change their minds, I've done that, or they realize they are wrong or circumstances change.

But John Kerry has made it the rule to change his position, rather than the exception. In October, 2003, he told an Arab-American Institute in Detroit that a security barrier separating Israel from the Palestinian Territories was a "barrier to peace."

A few months later, he took exactly the opposite position. In an interview with the Jerusalem Post he said, "Israel's security fence is a legitimate act of self defense."

The contrasts are dramatic. They involve very different views of how to deal with terrorism.

President Bush will make certain that we are combatting terrorism at the source, beyond our shores, so we can reduce the risk of having to confront it in the streets of New York.

John Kerry's record of inconsistent positions on combatting terrorism gives us no confidence he'll pursue such a determined course.

President Bush will not allow countries that appear to have ignored the lessons of history and failed for over thirty years to stand up to terrorists, to dissuade us from what is necessary for our defense.

He will not let them set our agenda. Under President Bush, America will lead rather than follow.

John Kerry's claim that certain foreign leaders who opposed our removal of Saddam Hussein prefer him, raises the risk that he would accommodate his position to their viewpoint.

It would hardly be the first time he changed his position on matters of war and peace.

I remember the days following September 11th when we were no longer Democrats or Republicans, but Americans determined to do all we could to help the victims, to rebuild our city and nation and to disable our enemies.

I remember President Bush coming here on September 14, 2001 and lifting the morale of our rescue workers by talking with them and embracing them and staying with them much longer than originally planned.

In fact, if you promise to keep it just between us so I don't get in trouble it was my opinion that the Secret Service was concerned about the President remaining so long in that area.

With buildings still unstable, with fires raging below ground of 2000 degrees or more, there was good reason for concern.

Well the President remained there and talked to everyone, the firefighters, the police officers, the healthcare workers, the clergy, but the people who spent the most time with him were our construction workers.

Now New York construction workers are very special people. I'm sure this is true all over but I know the ones here the best. They were real heroes along with many others that day, volunteering immediately. And they're big, real big. Their arms are bigger than my legs and their opinions are even bigger than their arms.

Now each one of them would engage the President and I imagine like his cabinet give him advice.

They were advising him in their own words on exactly what he should do with the terrorists. Of course I can't repeat their exact language.

But one of them really went into great detail and upon conclusion of his remarks President Bush said in a rather loud voice, "I agree."

At this point the guy just beamed and all his buddies turned toward him in amazement.

The guy just lost it.

So he reached over, embraced the President and began hugging him enthusiastically.

A Secret Service agent standing next to me looked at the President and the guy and instead of extracting the President from this bear hug, he turned toward me and put his finger in my face and said, "If this guy hurts the President, Giuliani you're finished."

Meekly, and this is the moral of the story, I responded, "but it would be out of love."

I also remember the heart wrenching visit President Bush made to the families of our firefighters and police officers at the Javits Center.

I remember receiving all the help, assistance and support from the President and even more than we asked.

For that I will be eternally grateful to President Bush.

And I remember the support being bi-partisan and actually standing hand in hand Republicans and Democrats, here in New York and all over the nation.

During a Boston Red Sox game there was a sign held up saying Boston loves New York.

I saw a Chicago police officer sent here by Mayor Daley directing traffic in Manhattan.

I'm not sure where he sent the cars, they are probably still riding around the Bronx, but it was very reassuring to know how much support we had.

And as we look beyond this election and elections do accentuate differences let's make sure we rekindle that spirit that we are one one America united to end the threat of global terrorism.

Certainly President Bush will keep us focused on that goal. When President Bush announced his commitment to ending global terrorism, he understood - - I understood, we all understood - - it was critical to remove the pillars of support for the global terrorist movement.

In any plan to destroy global terrorism, removing Saddam Hussein needed to be accomplished.

Frankly, I believed then and I believe now that Saddam Hussein, who supported global terrorism, slaughtered hundreds of thousands of his own people, permitted horrific atrocities against women, and used weapons of mass destruction, was himself a weapon of mass destruction.

But the reasons for removing Saddam Hussein were based on issues even broader than just the presence of weapons of mass destruction.

To liberate people, give them a chance for accountable, decent government and rid the world of a pillar of support for global terrorism is something for which all those involved from President Bush to the brave men and women of our armed forces should be proud.

President Bush has also focused on the correct long-term answer for the violence and hatred emerging from the Middle East. The hatred and anger in the Middle East arises from the lack of accountable governments.

Rather than trying to grant more freedom, create more income, improve education and basic health care, these governments deflect their own failures by pointing to America and Israel and other external scapegoats.

But blaming these scapegoats does not improve the life of a single person in the Arab world. It does not relieve the plight of even one woman in Iran.

It does not give a decent living to a single soul in Syria. It certainly does not stop the slaughter of African Christians in the Sudan.

The changes necessary in the Middle East involve encouraging accountable, lawful governments that can be role models.

This has also been an important part of the Bush Doctrine and the President's vision for the future.

Have faith in the power of freedom.

People who live in freedom always prevail over people who live in oppression. That's the story of the Old Testament. That's the story of World War II and the Cold War.

That's the story of the firefighters and police officers and rescue workers who courageously saved thousands of lives on September 11, 2001.

President Bush is the leader we need for the next four years because he sees beyond today and tomorrow. He has a vision of a peaceful Middle East and, therefore, a safer world. We will see an end to global terrorism. I can see it. I believe it. I know it will happen.

It may seem a long way off. It may even seem idealistic.

But it may not be as far away and idealistic as it seems.

Look how quickly the Berlin Wall was torn down, the Iron Curtain ripped open and the Soviet Union disintegrated because of the power of the pent-up demand for freedom.

When it catches hold there is nothing more powerful than freedom. Give it some hope, and it will overwhelm dictators, and even defeat terrorists. That is what we have done and must continue to do in Iraq.

That is what the Republican Party does best when we are at our best, we extend freedom.

It's our mission. And it's the long-term answer to ending global terrorism. Governments that are free and accountable.

We have won many battles at home and abroad but as President Bush told us on September 20, 2001 it will take a long-term determined effort to prevail.

The war on terrorism will not be won in a single battle. There will be no dramatic surrender. There will be no crumbling of a massive wall.

But we will know it. We'll know it as accountable governments continue to develop in countries like Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq.

We'll know it as terrorist attacks throughout the world decrease and then end.

And then, God willing, we'll all be able on a future anniversary of September 11th.

To say to our fallen brothers and sisters. To our heroes of the worst attack in our history and to our heroes who have sacrificed their lives in the war on terror.

We will say to them we have done all that we could with our lives that were spared to make your sacrifices build a world of real peace and true freedom.

We will make certain in the words of President Bush that they have heard from us.

That they have heard from us a message of peace through free, accountable, lawful and decent governments giving people hope for a future for themselves and their children.

God bless each one we have lost, here and abroad, and their families.

God bless all those defending our freedom.

God bless America.

#########
gruß
proxi  

13393 Postings, 7557 Tage danjelshakeLöschung

31.08.04 23:30
Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

wir haben gerade dieses Posting wegen Verstoßes gegen die Forumrichtlinien aus dem ARIVA.DE-Diskussionsforum gelöscht.

Ihr ARIVA.DE-Team  

10665 Postings, 7377 Tage lumpensammlerI heard from them

31.08.04 23:30
and decided not to listen. I read about them and decided to abandon reading. I saw them and decided to laugh.

Nichts als Clowns.  

4690 Postings, 8728 Tage proxicomidieser verbrecher gehört an die wand gestellt!!!

31.08.04 23:47
linke logik eines augehetzten deutschen. well das hatten wir doch schon einmal.
hießen sie nicht nationalsozialisten, well das national wurde ja amputiert durch diese greens.

Monday, August 30, 2004
Senator McCain: "We're Americans, and We'll Never Surrender"

Republican National Convention
New York, New York

(Remarks as prepared for delivery.)

########
gruß
proxi
Thank you, Lindsey, and, thank you, my fellow Republicans.

I'm truly grateful for the privilege of addressing you.

This week, millions of Americans, not all Republicans, weigh our claim on their support for the two men who have led our country in these challenging times with moral courage and firm resolve.

So I begin with the words of a great American from the other party, given at his party's convention in the year I was born.

My purpose is not imitation, for I can't match his eloquence, but respect for the relevance in our time of his rousing summons to greatness of an earlier generation of Americans.

In a time of deep distress at home, as tyranny strangled the aspirations to liberty of millions, and as war clouds gathered in the West and East, Franklin Delano Roosevelt accepted his party's nomination by observing:

"There is a mysterious cycle in human events. To some generations much is given. Of other generations much is expected. This generation of Americans has a rendezvous with destiny."

The awful events of September 11, 2001 declared a war we were vaguely aware of, but hadn't really comprehended how near the threat was, and how terrible were the plans of our enemies.

It's a big thing, this war.

It's a fight between a just regard for human dignity and a malevolent force that defiles an honorable religion by disputing God's love for every soul on earth. It's a fight between right and wrong, good and evil.

And should our enemies acquire for their arsenal the chemical, biological and nuclear weapons they seek, this war will become a much bigger thing.

So it is, whether we wished it or not, that we have come to the test of our generation, to our rendezvous with destiny.

And much is expected of us.

We are engaged in a hard struggle against a cruel and determined adversary.

Our enemies have made clear the danger they pose to our security and to the very essence of our culture ...liberty.

Only the most deluded of us could doubt the necessity of this war.

Like all wars, this one will have its ups and downs.

But we must fight. We must.

The sacrifices borne in our defense are not shared equally by all Americans.

But all Americans must share a resolve to see this war through to a just end.

We must not be complacent at moments of success, and we must not despair over setbacks.

We must learn from our mistakes, improve on our successes, and vanquish this unpardonable enemy.

If we do less, we will fail the one mission no American generation has ever failed

to provide to our children a stronger, better country than the one we were blessed to inherit.

Remember how we felt when the serenity of a bright September morning was destroyed by a savage atrocity so hostile to all human virtue we could scarcely imagine any human being capable of it.

We were united. First, in sorrow and anger. Then in recognition we were attacked not for a wrong we had done, but for who we are a people united in a kinship of ideals, committed to the notion that the people are sovereign, not governments, not armies, not a pitiless, inhumane theocracy, not kings, mullahs or tyrants, but the people.

In that moment, we were not different races.

We were not poor or rich. We were not Democrat or Republican, liberal or conservative. We were not two countries.

We were Americans.

All of us, despite the differences that enliven our politics, are united in the one big idea that freedom is our birthright and its defense is always our first responsibility. All other responsibilities come second.

We must not lose sight of that as we debate who among us should bear the greatest responsibility

for keeping us safe and free.

We must, whatever our disagreements, stick together in this great challenge of our time.

My friends in the Democratic Party and I'm fortunate to call many of them my friends

assure us they share the conviction that winning the war against terrorism is our government's

most important obligation.

I don't doubt their sincerity. They emphasize that military action alone won't protect us, that this war has many fronts: in courts, financial institutions, in the shadowy world of intelligence, and in diplomacy.

They stress that America needs the help of her friends to combat an evil that threatens us all,

that our alliances are as important to victory as are our armies. We agree.

And, as we've been a good friend to other countries in moments of shared perils, so we have good reason to expect their solidarity with us in this struggle. That is what the President believes.

And, thanks to his efforts we have received valuable assistance from many good friends around the globe, even if we have, at times, been disappointed with the reactions of some. I don't doubt the sincerity of my Democratic friends. And they should not doubt ours.

Our President will work with all nations willing to help us defeat this scourge that afflicts us all.

War is an awful business. The lives of a nation's finest patriots are sacrificed. Innocent people suffer. Commerce is disrupted, economies are damaged.

Strategic interests shielded by years of statecraft are endangered as the demands of war and

diplomacy conflict.

However just the cause, we should shed a tear for all that is lost when war claims its wages from us. But there is no avoiding this war. We tried that, and our reluctance cost us dearly. And while this war has many components, we can't make victory on the battlefield harder to achieve so that our diplomacy is easier to conduct.

That is not just an expression of our strength. It's a measure of our wisdom.

That's why I commend to my country the re-election of President Bush, and the steady, experienced, public-spirited man who serves as our Vice-President, Dick Cheney.

Four years ago, in Philadelphia, I spoke of my confidence that President Bush would accept the responsibilities that come with America's distinction as the world's only superpower.

I promised he would not let America "retreat behind empty threats, false promises and uncertain diplomacy;" that he would "confidently defend our interests and values wherever they are threatened."

I knew my confidence was well placed when I watched him stand on the rubble of the World Trade Center, with his arm around a hero of September 11th, and in our moment of mourning and anger, strengthen our unity and summon our resolve by promising to right this terrible wrong, and to stand up and fight for the values we hold dear.

He promised our enemies would soon hear from us. And so they did. So they did.

He ordered American forces to Afghanistan and took the fight to our enemies, and away from our shores, seriously injuring al Qaeda and destroying the regime that gave them safe haven. He worked effectively to secure the cooperation of Pakistan, a relationship that's critical to our success against al Qaeda.

He encouraged other friends to recognize the peril that terrorism posed for them, and won their help in apprehending many of those who would attack us again, and in helping to freeze the assets they used to fund their bloody work.

After years of failed diplomacy and limited military pressure to restrain Saddam Hussein,

President Bush made the difficult decision to liberate Iraq. Those who criticize that decision would have us believe that the choice was between a status quo that was well enough left alone and war. But there was no status quo to be left alone.

The years of keeping Saddam in a box were coming to a close. The international consensus that he be kept isolated and unarmed had eroded to the point that many critics of military action had decided the time had come again to do business with Saddam, despite his near daily attacks on our pilots, and his refusal, until his last day in power, to allow the unrestricted inspection of his arsenal.

Our choice wasn't between a benign status quo and the bloodshed of war. It was between war and a graver threat. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Not our critics abroad. Not our political opponents.

And certainly not a disingenuous film maker who would have us believe that Saddam's Iraq was an oasis of peace when in fact it was a place of indescribable cruelty, torture chambers, mass graves

and prisons that destroyed the lives of the small children held inside their walls.

Whether or not Saddam possessed the terrible weapons he once had and used, freed from international pressure and the threat of military action, he would have acquired them again.

The central security concern of our time is to keep such devastating weapons beyond the reach of terrorists who can't be dissuaded from using them by the threat of mutual destruction.

We couldn't afford the risk posed by an unconstrained Saddam in these dangerous times.

By destroying his regime we gave hope to people long oppressed that if they have the courage to fight for it, they may live in peace and freedom.

Most importantly, our efforts may encourage the people of a region that has never known peace or freedom or lasting stability that they may someday possess these rights. I believe as strongly today as ever, the mission was necessary, achievable and noble. For his determination to undertake it, and for his unflagging resolve to see it through to a just end, President Bush deserves not only our support, but our admiration.

As the President rightly reminds us, we are safer than we were on September 11th, but we're not yet safe. We are still closer to the beginning than the end of this fight.

We need a leader with the experience to make the tough decisions and the resolve to stick with them; a leader who will keep us moving forward even if it is easier to rest.

And this President will not rest until America is stronger and safer still, and this hateful iniquity is vanquished. He has been tested and has risen to the most important challenge of our time, and I salute him.

I salute his determination to make this world a better, safer, freer place. He has not wavered. He has not flinched from the hard choices. He will not yield. And neither will we.

I said earlier that the sacrifices in this war will not be shared equally by all Americans. The President is the first to observe, most of the sacrifices fall, as they have before, to the brave men and women of our Armed Forces. We may be good citizens, but make no mistake, they are the very best of us.

It's an honor to live in a country that is so well and so bravely defended by such patriots.

May God bless them, the living and the fallen, as He has blessed us with their service.

For their families, for their friends, for America, for mankind they sacrifice to affirm that right makes might; that good triumphs over evil; that freedom is stronger than tyranny; that love is greater than hate.

It is left to us to keep their generous benefaction alive, and our blessed, beautiful country worthy of their courage. We should be thankful -- for the privilege.

Our country's security doesn't depend on the heroism of every citizen. But we have to be worthy of the sacrifices made on our behalf.

We have to love our freedom, not just for the material benefits it provides, not just for the autonomy it guarantees us, but for the goodness it makes possible.

We have to love it as much, if not as heroically, as the brave Americans who defend us at the risk, and often the cost of their lives.

No American alive today will ever forget what happened on the morning of September 11th. That day was the moment when the pendulum of history swung toward a new era. The opening chapter was tinged with great sadness and uncertainty. It shook us from our complacency in the belief that the Cold War's end had ushered in a time of global tranquility.

But an absence of complacency should not provoke an absence of confidence. What our enemies have sought to destroy is beyond their reach. It cannot be taken from us. It can only be surrendered.

My friends, we are again met on the field of political competition with our fellow countrymen. It is more than appropriate, it is necessary that even in times of crisis we have these contests,

and engage in spirited disagreement over the shape and course of our government.

We have nothing to fear from each other. We are arguing over the means to better secure our freedom, and promote the general welfare. But it should remain an argument among friends who share an unshaken belief in our great cause, and in the goodness of each other.

We are Americans first, Americans last, Americans always. Let us argue our differences.

But remember we are not enemies, but comrades in a war against a real enemy, and take courage from the knowledge that our military superiority is matched only by the superiority of our ideals, and our unconquerable love for them.

Our adversaries are weaker than us in arms and men, but weaker still in causes. They fight to express a hatred for all that is good in humanity.

We fight for love of freedom and justice, a love that is invincible. Keep that faith. Keep your courage. Stick together. Stay strong.

Do not yield. Do not flinch. Stand up. Stand up with our President and fight.

We're Americans.

We're Americans, and we'll never surrender.

They will.

13393 Postings, 7557 Tage danjelshakeLöschung

01.09.04 00:11

wir haben gerade dieses Posting wegen Verstoßes gegen die Forumrichtlinien aus dem ARIVA.DE-Diskussionsforum gelöscht.

Ihr ARIVA.DE-Team  

4690 Postings, 8728 Tage proxicomiJobs & The Economy

01.09.04 00:16
Jobs & The Economy
“America’s economy is getting stronger. I am optimistic about our future, not only because of what I see today, but because of what I know we have overcome.”

-President George W. Bush, Remarks at Central Piedmont Community College, Charlotte, North Carolina, April 5, 2004  

Strengthening the Economy – The economy is strong and getting stronger. The President’s pro-growth policies have helped drive the economy and move the recovery forward, putting more money in the pockets of America’s families and laying a foundation for robust growth and job creation now and for years to come.

The economy has grown 4.8% in the past year, as fast as any year in nearly two decades.
Productivity grew at the fastest 3-year rate in more than 50 years.
Providing bold and active leadership to end the recession and helping people find work – From 2000 to 2003, America’s economy experienced an unprecedented combination of shocks: the stock market bubble bursting; an economic recession; the terrorist attacks of September 11th and subsequent War on Terror including the war in Iraq; and the discovery of corporate accounting scandals, years in the making, that undermined confidence in corporate America. President Bush acted promptly and aggressively to address these shocks. He enacted tax relief to help America’s workers by putting more money in family pockets while encouraging businesses to grow and invest. The President’s tax relief allowed families to keep more of what they earn by cutting tax rates across the board, doubling the child credit to $1,000 and reducing the marriage penalty. For America’s small businesses, the President’s tax relief reduced tax rates, quadrupled small business expensing and phased out the death tax.
According to an analysis conducted by the Treasury Department after the tax relief was implemented last year, economic growth would have been more than 3 percent lower and 2 million fewer Americans would have been working at the end of last year.
Creating Jobs – The President acted decisively to help create jobs and get Americans back to work. Just one year after the President signed the Jobs & Growth bill, there is widespread evidence his policies have worked.
Since last August, over 1.5 million new jobs have been created.
The unemployment rate has fallen from 6.3 to 5.6 percent, below the average of the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.
This job growth is widespread – employment over the last year was up in 41 of the 50 states, and the unemployment rate was down in 47 of the 50 states.
Raising America’s standard of living – The President’s economic policies have allowed Americans to weather the stock market bubble, the recession, the terrorist attacks and the corporate scandals, and have resulted in higher incomes and living standards for American workers.
Real after-tax incomes are up by 11 percent since December 2000. This increase is mostly due to the President’s tax relief and is substantially better than those following the last recession.
Homeownership rates are at record levels – nearly seven out of ten American families own their own home today.
Household wealth is near a record high.
Consumer confidence is up from the levels seen at this time last year and is in the upper third of its historical range.
Inflation remains low by historical standards, as do mortgage rates.
Helping prepare workers for 21st Century jobs – Many of the new jobs being created require new skills. The President is committed to helping American workers acquire the skills necessary to access higher-paying jobs. His budget commits $23 billion for job training and employment assistance in programs throughout the government. He has proposed more than $500 million for his Jobs for the 21st Century initiative to help prepare U.S. workers to take advantage of the better skilled, higher-paying jobs of the future. This initiative includes $250 million for America’s community colleges to train workers for industries that are creating new jobs today, as well as funding for new secondary education programs to better prepare high school students for the jobs of the 21st Century.

More work to be done – The President's policies are working, but he will not rest until every American who wants to work can find a job. The President has outlined a six-point plan to reduce costs to America’s job creators and guarantee that America remains the best place in the world to do business. His plan includes making health care costs more affordable and predictable; reducing the burden of frivolous lawsuits on our economy; ensuring an affordable, reliable energy supply; streamlining regulations and paperwork requirements; and opening new markets for American products and services. Finally, the President proposes making the tax cuts permanent to enable families and businesses to plan for the future with confidence and certainty.

The choice for America – We can move forward with the President’s pro-growth economic policies that are creating jobs, increasing incomes and opening new markets for American goods. Or, we can go back to the tired old policies of tax and spend, economic isolationism and economic pessimism – a proven recipe for economic disaster. America cannot afford to return to the failed policies of the past – raising taxes on American families and small businesses will only hurt economic recovery and future job creation. We must continue to move forward with pro-growth policies that are growing our economy and fueling the creation of new jobs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the Administration support outsourcing?
The President is concerned about the loss of any job. His priority is to focus on creating jobs in this country, while ensuring that American workers have the skills they need to access those jobs.
That is why he three times led the Congress to pass major tax relief bills to help the economy create more jobs, and why he has worked to open foreign markets to American made goods and services. Those policies are working. Tax burdens are down and exports are up. We have seen 1.5 million jobs created since August, while exports have grown at their fastest rate in almost a decade.
With job creation accelerating, the President believes it is critical to ensure American workers have the skills they need to access those jobs. The President’s budget calls for $23 billion to be spent on job training programs throughout the government next year.
The President will not allow the United States to retreat into economic isolationism. American workers and American products are the best in the world, and the President has acted aggressively to open foreign markets to U.S. products and services. Today, 12 million American jobs depend on exports.
Open trade with the world encourages foreign companies to locate their plants here and to hire American workers. Foreign firms provide paychecks to 6.4 million Americans. Increased foreign investment means more factories and more jobs.
A retreat into economic isolationism would jeopardize these jobs. The answer to outsourcing is to make Americans more competitive in the global marketplace, not isolate ourselves from it. The President’s pro-growth and job training polices are helping American companies and workers to do just that.
Where did the jobs go?
Nearly 70 percent of the job loss we have experienced occurred during the 2001 recession and immediately after the attacks of September 11th. The attacks were a serious blow to our economy, closing the New York Stock Exchange for nearly a week and shutting down U.S. airspace for the first time ever. In the three months after September 11th, the economy lost nearly one million jobs.
We are also living in a changing economy. Much of our job growth will be found in high-skilled fields like health care and biotechnology. So the President is responding by helping more Americans gain the skills necessary to find good jobs in our new economy. He proposed more than $500 million for his Jobs for the 21st Century initiative to help train U.S. workers for industries that are creating the most new jobs.
How does cutting taxes create jobs?
First, the President’s tax relief allowed American families to keep more of what they earn. When families have more money to spend, they will demand a good or service in the market place. When there is more demand, businesses have to produce more goods and services, and they are more likely to hire additional workers.
Second, by cutting rates, President Bush reduced the tax burden on the 90 percent of small businesses organized as S corporations, partnerships or sole proprietorships and who pay their taxes at the individual income tax rates. Small businesses create 7 out of 10 jobs in our economy. Cutting marginal income tax rates allows small businesses – America’s job creators – to invest more of their money in their businesses to expand and create more jobs.
Third, the President’s tax relief gave America’s businesses, large and small, an increased incentive to make the investments they need to stay competitive and to create more jobs. His tax relief quadrupled the limit on small business expensing to $100,000 and offered larger businesses 50 percent bonus depreciation. These tax provisions reduce businesses’ upfront costs when they purchase new computers, trucks and other equipment to make their employees more productive. More productive employees means higher wages and more job opportunities for the companies that make the new equipment.
Some argue that the new jobs being created are replacing good paying jobs with low paying jobs. Is that true?
There is no data to support this claim. The data only tells us what industries produced jobs and we know that over the past several months, we’ve seen across-the-board growth in the various sectors, including traditionally high-paying sectors such as information, construction, financial activities and professional and business services.
Total compensation – wages and benefits – has increased 3.8% during the last year.
What is the difference between the payroll survey and the household survey of unemployment?
Both the payroll survey and the household survey contain valuable information about economic conditions but there are more important differences. While the payroll survey is larger, it also excludes many areas of job growth such as new business startups and the self-employed. The household survey may do a better job of capturing these areas of job creation.
Most important, however, is what they have in common – both surveys indicate that the economy has turned around and jobs are on the rise. According to the payroll survey, we have added 1.5 million new jobs since last August.
Does the President support another Unemployment Insurance extension?
The Administration has extended Federal unemployment benefits three times, providing over $23 billion to help 7.8 million American workers. Over the last 10 months, we have seen over 1.5 million jobs created, and the unemployment rate has fallen from its peak of 6.3 percent last June to 5.6 percent this year, and we expect that trend to continue. The Administration will continue to work with Congress on this issue.
Does the President support a minimum wage increase?
New jobs are being created. The economy has added over 1.5 million jobs since August. The President is focused on policies that will keep the economy growing.
The Administration will continue to work with Congress to study the various minimum wage proposals.
What more can the President do to increase job creation?
The economy is strong and getting stronger. The economy has added over 1.5 million jobs since August and the growth is expected to continue.
To create more jobs, we must make sure America remains the best place in the world to do business.
Tax relief was vital to getting the economy moving again, and for the sake of job creation, it must be made permanent.
We need to reduce the number of regulations so business owners can focus on their business rather than spending hours on paperwork.
We need legal reform to cut down on frivolous lawsuits. Even the threat of frivolous lawsuits puts a damper on job creation, investment and expansion.
To address the high cost of health care and to help the uninsured gain coverage, the President has proposed association health plans, health savings accounts and medical liability reform.
We need affordable and reliable supplies of energy so we can reduce our dependence on foreign oil.
Finally, we need to open more foreign markets to U.S. products and services.
As we create more jobs, we must help workers gain the skills needed to fill those jobs. That is why the President has proposed an aggressive agenda to help workers retrain for jobs in high-demand occupations:
The President proposed $23 billion overall for job training and employment assistance in his FY2005 budget – $2.5 billion (12.5 %) more than in 2001;
The President has set a goal to double the number of workers receiving job training by reforming the Workforce Investment Act to eliminate unnecessary overhead costs by $300 million to train 100,000 additional workers and by proposing $250 million in his Jobs for the 21st Century Initiative to help America’s community colleges train 100,000 additional workers for the industries that are creating the most new jobs.
The President’s FY 2005 budget includes $50 million Personal Reemployment Account pilot program to help those Americans who have the hardest time finding work.
A pro-growth economic agenda and help for American workers to gain the skills to secure good jobs, are the right ways to respond to the challenges of our growing and changing economy.
Does the budget deficit threaten to harm the economy and job creation in the long run?
Our budget reflects the country’s most important priorities: fighting the war on terror and ensuring economic growth and recovery. We’ll continue to provide whatever it takes to defend our country, protect our homeland and promote economic security.
The President’s budget calls for cutting the deficit in half over the next five years. His plan is to continue with pro-growth policies that will increase revenues into the Treasury while holding the line on Federal spending.
Economic growth and good stewardship of taxpayers’ dollars will help us meet the President’s goal of cutting the budget deficit in half in five years.
Will Congress reject the President’s call to make tax cuts permanent?
The budget under consideration by the House and Senate would ensure that taxes on America’s families will not increase next year. These are important steps toward ensuring that all the tax relief signed into law by the President will continue to assist America’s families and small businesses.
Failure to extend the President’s tax cuts permanently would mean a massive tax hike on America’s families. For example, in 2005, the tax burden on a family of four earning $40,000 would increase by $915. Raising taxes on the American people would hurt families and hurt our economic recovery.
What are you doing to help manufacturers specifically?
President Bush recognizes that the manufacturing sector has been especially hard hit. That is why he pushed for tax relief to spur business investment. Because he acted, many manufacturers have been able to take advantage of lower tax rates, the increased small business expensing limit and the 50% bonus depreciation. This tax relief has helped encourage increased business investment in durable goods and other equipment and spurred growth and job creation in our manufacturing sector over the past four months.
In addition to tax relief, the President has also proposed a series of proposals aimed at cutting the cost of doing business by making health care more affordable, reforming the legal system to cut down on frivolous lawsuits and enacting a national energy policy that ensures an affordable, reliable supply of energy and reduces our dependence on foreign energy. These proposals are particularly important for our manufacturing sector, which shoulders a higher burden for each of these costs than other sectors of the economy.
The Administration is also working to implement the more than 57 recommendations outlined in the Commerce Department’s Manufacturing Report, which was based on input from manufacturers nationwide.
Manufacturers are already benefiting from the President’s economic policies. Manufacturing activities are near 20-year highs. New orders are up and jobs are starting to come back. We’ve seen over 64,000 new manufacturing jobs created this year.

Kerry is Bad for the Economy

Kerry has a record of voting to send more tax dollars to Washington instead of keeping them in the productive hands of individuals and businesses – He has voted for higher taxes hundreds of times. He voted 98 times for tax increases totaling more than $2.3 trillion. In addition, he has voted 126 times against tax cuts, voted 73 times to reduce the size of tax cuts, voted 67 times for smaller tax cuts and voted 11 times against repealing tax hikes.

Now Kerry wants to raise taxes on successful small business owners and entrepreneurs – 90% of businesses pay taxes through the individual income tax, not the corporate income tax. Kerry’s call to repeal tax cuts for the “wealthy” would increase taxes on nearly 1 million successful small businesses and entrepreneurs who are in the top two individual income tax brackets.

Kerry would have small businesses paying a higher tax rate than corporations – While Kerry would reduce the top tax rate for corporations from 35% to 33.25%, he would increase the top tax rate for small businesses from 35% to 39.6%. Small businesses create 7 out of 10 new jobs. No small business should have to pay more taxes than a corporation. It’s unfair and bad economics.

Kerry’s corporate tax plan would make the U.S. less internationally competitive – Kerry would partially end the deferral of foreign income, making the tax code even more complicated and making U.S. companies less competitive internationally. The Institute for International Economics reports “it would actually tilt the tax field more steeply in favor of foreign MNCs [multinational companies].” (“Senator Kerry on Corporate Tax Reform: Right Diagnosis, Wrong Prescription,” Institute for International Economics, Gary Haufbauer, 4/04)

Kerry’s own advisers admit his plan won’t stop outsourcing – “Campaign officials acknowledged that the new plan would not stop the broader trend of outsourcing jobs to low-wage countries.” (Source: “Kerry to Propose Eliminating a Tax Break on U.S. Companies' Overseas Profits,” The New York Times, 3/26/04)

Kerry’s New Jobs Tax Credit won’t work – Kerry proposes bringing back a tax credit from the Carter era that didn’t work then and won’t work now. It’s complicated and will require more paperwork. It puts good companies that didn’t lay-off their employees during the recession at a competitive disadvantage with companies that did lay-off employees and now hire them back. Even the study Kerry cited in support of the idea concluded it didn’t work: “Most firms either did not know of the program or were not influenced by it, a result which makes this short-run program an imperfect counter-cyclical tool.” (“The New Jobs Tax Credit: An Evaluation of the 1977-78 Wage Subsidy Program,” Jeffrey M. Perloff and Michael L. Wachter, The American Economic Review, May 1979)

Kerry’s economic isolationism would jeopardize millions of U.S. jobs – Kerry’s call for reviewing trade agreements he’s already voted in favor of and for imposing unilateral tariffs could spark a trade war that jeopardizes U.S. jobs. Trade supports about 12 million jobs in the U.S. and investment from foreign companies supports another 6 million jobs.

Kerry won’t reduce the costs of doing business in the U.S. – He has opposed reforms to curb frivolous and costly lawsuits. His health care plan would just shift costs rather than provide incentives to reduce them. His ideas for energy policy would hurt manufacturers. For example, Senator Kerry voted for a Kyoto-like bill that the National Association of Manufacturers characterized as “potentially devastating to economic growth and job creation.” (Source: “NAM Calls for Defeat of S. 139,” press release, 10/29/03)

#############
gruß
proxi  

10665 Postings, 7377 Tage lumpensammlerLöschung

01.09.04 00:16

Ihr ARIVA.DE-Team  

13393 Postings, 7557 Tage danjelshakeganz deiner meinung!!!

01.09.04 00:21
die überbleibsel des 3. reiches sind im moment in den usa an der macht... siehe d. rumsfeld.

alllesamt verbrecher die nur die gaskammer verdiehnt haben!!!

mfg ds  

4690 Postings, 8728 Tage proxicomiPresident Bush's Six Point Plan

01.09.04 00:21
Thursday, September 04, 2003
President Bush's Six Point Plan for Strengthening the Economy

The President traveled to Kansas City, Missouri today to outline a six point plan to ensure a full economic recovery and create jobs across the country. President Bush is committed to the economic growth and security of our nation and his plan offers a full agenda for creating jobs in America.

America's economy is recovering and our nation is enjoying accelerated economic growth. But job creation continues to lag even as output accelerates because employers remain cautious about adding new workers.

Background on Today’s Presidential Action

President George W. Bush has provided bold and active leadership to end the recession and help Americans find work. Our economy experienced the unprecedented triple shock of a recession, economic disruption due to September 11, 2001 and the War on Terrorism, and corporate accounting scandals.

President Bush acted decisively to help America's workers by providing tax relief to put more money in families' pockets and encourage businesses to grow and invest. Tax relief brought substantial savings to families and helped fight back the effects of the recession. The Department of the Treasury estimates that without the President’s tax relief, as many as 1.5 million additional Americans could have been out of a job.

The administration has already taken steps that are already producing results, but new actions are needed to reinforce economic growth - and funnel that growth into news jobs for America's workers. President Bush has proposed six specific steps to build employer confidence and create momentum to hire new workers.

The President's Six Point Plan

Making Health Care Costs More Affordable and Predictable. Health insurance costs for employers have been rising by 10 percent per year since 2000, causing businesses to hire fewer new employees and too many families to go without insurance. President Bush proposes to allow small businesses to join together to purchase health coverage for workers at lower rates; expand medical savings accounts to give workers more control over their health care insurance and costs; and reduce frivolous and excessive lawsuits against doctors and hospitals that drive up insurance costs for workers and businesses.
Reducing the Lawsuit Burden on Our Economy. President Bush has proposed, and the House has already approved, measures that would allow more class action and mass tort lawsuits to be moved into Federal court - so that trial lawyers have a tougher time shopping for a favorable court. The President's reforms would also ensure that, in a class action lawsuit, most of the benefits of a settlement will actually go to the people who were injured. These reforms will help businesses focus on creating jobs, rather than fighting damaging junk lawsuits.
Ensuring an Affordable, Reliable Energy Supply. Businesses depend on affordable and reliable energy. Energy shortages, price spikes, and blackouts disrupt the economy and discourage businesses from planning with confidence and adding new workers. President Bush has proposed a comprehensive national energy plan to upgrade the nation's electrical grid, promote energy efficiency, increase domestic energy production, and provide enhanced conservation efforts, all while protecting the environment. It's time for Congress to pass legislation based on the President's energy plan.
Streamlining Regulations and Reporting Requirements. Government has a responsibility to ensure that its regulatory actions are reasonable and affordable. Too often, government regulations and compliance burdens hinder, rather than promote, job creation. The President will continue to work to simplify and streamline regulations, along with ensuring that well-intentioned compliance requirements do not have the unintended effect of killing jobs. In addition, the administration recently streamlined tax reporting requirements for small businesses, helping 2.6 million small businesses save 61 million hours of unproductive work.
Opening New Markets for American Products. American workers can compete with anyone in the world when given a chance. Unfortunately, foreign taxes and tariffs drive up the costs of American products in too many countries, making our products more expensive and less competitive than those produced elsewhere. For example, in Chile, some kinds of American-made heavy machinery (such as motor graders) produced by American workers cost $11,200 more than those produced in the European Union or Canada solely because of tariffs. President Bush recently signed into law two new free trade agreements with Chile and Singapore that will enable U.S. manufacturers to compete on a level playing field - and he will continue to work to open new markets around the world to American products.
Enabling Families and Businesses to Plan for the Future with Confidence. To make important spending, saving, and investment decisions, America's families and businesses need to be able to plan for the future. Right now, some key elements of the tax relief passed by Congress and signed into law by President Bush - such as the increase in the child tax credit, the elimination of the death tax, and the new incentives for small business investment – are set to expire in a few years. For example, a married couple with two children and an annual income of $40,000 would face a $922 tax increase (a 112% increase) in 2005 if these and similar provisions in the Jobs and Growth Act are not made permanent. President Bush urges Congress to make these vital tax reductions permanent so America's families and businesses can make decisions for their financial futures.
These six specific steps will help us build on our economic recovery and move on to the next stage of economic progress - the sustained expansion of employment. President Bush looks forward to working with Congress to pass a full agenda for the creation of jobs in America.

#################
gruß
proxi

13393 Postings, 7557 Tage danjelshakeich bin gewiss kein schwein

01.09.04 00:25
aber wenn jemand die todestrafe auf diesem planten verdient hat, dann ist es g.w.bush.

der größte lügner und verbrecher der moderne!!!

tötet bush und die welt wird wieder friedlicher!

mfg ds  

Seite: < 1 | ... | 4 | 5 | 6 |
| 8 | 9 | 10 | ... 12  >  
   Antwort einfügen - nach oben