Seite 1 von 1
Neuester Beitrag: 08.04.03 19:03
Eröffnet am:08.04.03 18:44von: KickyAnzahl Beiträge:2
Neuester Beitrag:08.04.03 19:03von: KickyLeser gesamt:627
Forum:Talk Leser heute:1
Bewertet mit:

79561 Postings, 8967 Tage KickyBericht mitten aus dem Herzen Bagdads

08.04.03 18:44
von Robert Fisk,Reporter für den Independent:The US Marines and special forces who spread out along the west bank of the river broke into Saddam Hussein's largest palace, filmed its lavatories and bathrooms and lay resting on its lawns before moving down towards the Rashid Hotel and sniping at soldiers and civilians. Hundreds of Iraqi men, women and children were brought to Baghdad's hospitals in the hours that followed – victims of bullets, shrapnel and cluster bombs. We could actually see the twin-engined American A-10s firing their depleted uranium rounds into the far shore of the river.
From the eastern bank, I watched the marines run towards a ditch with their rifles to their shoulders and search for Iraqi troops. But their enemies went on firing from the mudflats to the south until, one after another, I saw them running for their lives. The Iraqis clambered out of foxholes amid the American shellfire and began an Olympic sprint of terror along the waterside; most kept their weapons, some fell back to an exhausted walk, others splashed right into the waters of the Tigris, up to their knees, even their necks. Three climbed from a trench with hands in the air, in front of a group of marines. But others fought on. The "stomp, stomp, stomp" went on for more than an hour. Then the A-10s came back, and an F/A-18 sent a ripple of fire along the trenches after which the shooting died away. It seemed as if Baghdad would fall within hours.
For even as the Americans were fighting their way up the river and the F/A-18s were returning to bombard the bank, the Iraqi Minister of Information gave a press conference on the roof of the Palestine Hotel, scarcely half a mile from the battle.
As shells exploded to his left and the air was shredded by the power-diving American jets, Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf announced to perhaps 100 journalists that the whole thing was a propaganda exercise, the Americans were no longer in possession of Baghdad airport, that reporters must "check their facts and re-check their facts – that's all I ask you to do." Mercifully, the oil fires, bomb explosions and cordite smoke now obscured the western bank of the river, so fact-checking could no longer be accomplished by looking behind Mr Sahaf's back.
Why didn't we all take a drive around town, he suggested defiantly.
So I did. The corporation's double-decker buses were running and, if the shops were shut, stallholders were open, men had gathered in tea houses to discuss the war. I went off to buy fruit when a low-flying American jet crossed the street and dropped its payload 1,000 metres away in an explosion that changed the air pressure in our ears. But every street corner had its clutch of militiamen and, when I reached the side of the Foreign Ministry, upstream from the US Marines, an Iraqi artillery crew was firing a 120mm gun at the Americans from the middle of a dual carriageway, its tongue of fire bright against the grey-black fog drifting over Baghdad.
Within an hour and a half, the Americans had moved up the southern waterfront and were in danger of over-running the old ministry of information. Outside the Rashid Hotel, the marines opened fire on civilians and militiamen, blasting a passing motorcyclist onto the road and shooting at a Reuters photographer who managed to escape with bullet holes in his car.
All across Baghdad, hospitals were inundated with wounded, many of them women and children hit by fragments of cluster bombs. By dusk, the Americans were flying F/A-18s in close air support to the US Marines, so confident of their destruction of Iraq's anti-aircraft gunners that they could clearly be seen cruising the brown and grey skies in pairs.
As night fell, I came across three Iraqi defenders at the eastern end of the great Rashid Bridge.These three – two Baathist militiamen and a policeman – were ready to defend the eastern shore from the greatest army known to man.
That in itself, I thought, said something about both the courage and the hopelessness of the Arabs

kann das nicht Grinch mal übersetzen?der kann das doch so gut  

79561 Postings, 8967 Tage Kickyin die Sommerferien um zu töten

08.04.03 19:03
Hunderte von Muslimkämpfern,viele nicht aus dem Irak, kämpfen schlimmer als die republikanischen Garden
Brigadegeneral John Kelly sagt "sie kommen in den Irak für ihre Sommerferien um Amerikaner und Briten zu töten ..."
A senior US military officer warned that hundreds of Muslim fighters, many of them non-
Iraqis, were putting up a stronger fight for Baghdad than Iraq's Republican Guard or
regular army.

"They seem to have come to Iraq for their summer vacation to kill American, British and Australian soldiers," said Brigadier-General John Kelly, assistant commander of the 1st Marine Division. "They appear willing to die. We are trying our best to help them out in that endeavour."

Antwort einfügen - nach oben