Optionen

Angehängte Grafik:
3_idioten_1.png (verkleinert auf 49%) vergrößern
3_idioten_1.png
155 Postings ausgeblendet.
Seite: < 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 8  >  

3427 Postings, 7421 Tage AntoineTrading Psychology and the Risk of Ruin

06.11.09 15:54

Link: http://traderfeed.blogspot.com/2009/11/trading-psychology-and-risk-of-ruin.html

Trading Psychology and the Risk of Ruin

A reader commented on the recent post on mood and trading that he was battling his own moods after losing 17% of his equity in three trading days. Admirably, he expressed the desire to keep it together for his family.

But, of course, this isn't a mood problem. It's a problem of risk management.

If you trade frequently, it's only a matter of time before you experience runs of three, four, and five losers. That can be losing trades, losing days, or losing weeks. The laws of statistics dictate that if even if you are right on your trades 60% of the time or profitable 60% of days or weeks, you'll have a run of four consecutive losers 2.56% of the time. Trade enough and it *will* happen.

Of course, if markets change and you hit a period where your win rate declines, the odds of those consecutive losing runs increase significantly. With 50-50 odds of winning, you'll get four consecutive losers about 6% of the time.

So why is that important?

You need to be able to weather those periods financially as well as psychologically. You can't be so leveraged that a normal run of losers will generate deep losses in your account.

Recently, the day's high/low range for the S&P 500 average (SPY) has expanded, with quite a few days above 2%. The 20-day average range is about 1.3%. There are only two ways to lose 17% in three days: trade very high volatility instruments or trade with very high leverage. Both can be deadly when you are dead wrong.

What is helpful for me is defining a drop dead level for the year. In other words, what is the maximum I'm willing to lose in a year before I close shop entirely? Let's say for argument sake that I'm willing to risk 15% in a year to make 30% or more. That means that, if I start to approach the 15% limit--perhaps at 5% increments--I will scale back my trading size/risk, realizing that I'm not trading well. If I'm proactive in such scaling back, I should never hit my drop dead level and never blow out my account.

Such an overall risk plan helps an active trader set daily loss limits. Knowing I could have losing streaks by simple random chance and knowing that 15% can knock me out of the game for the year, I'm not going to want to risk more than 1% of my capital in any given trading day. That, in turn, will guide position sizing for each trade.

When we trade so large that strings of losing trades or days can take us out of the game, that is called "risk of ruin". If you have an edge in the market, it's only a matter of time before you accumulate profits. Everything else is risk management and making sure you stay in the game.

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanHow long does it take to be an expert?

26.01.10 12:42

http://www.stormyscorner.com/2009/08/how-long-does-it-take-to-be-an-expert.html

How long does it take to be an expert?

Malcolm Gladwell says it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert. He looked at professional hockey players, pianists and composers and said in each case it took them 10,000 hours of practice to get really good.

I've always thought practice was more important than talent - I think it looks like you have talent when you like something so much you spend hours and hours on it. The kid that loves baseball, plays every chance he gets and practices on his own. That kid gets good. How good he gets might depend on talent, but either way, he'll get good.

In Outliers , a book I just started listening to, Malcolm says people have talent but without the 10,000 hours of practice, we'll never see it.

So how much is 10,000 hours?

At an hour a day, that's 27 years. At 3 hours a day, it's still close to 10 years. What do you do for 3 hours a day? If you are like most of us, the only thing you do for 3 hours a day, day in and day out, is something you are paid to do. (So make your job something you enjoy doing!) Although I'd guess there are some free software developers out there who put in a lot of hours "practicing" coding every week regardless of whether they get paid for it.

How long does it take someone with a job to get really good at it? Say you got a job writing code - and you've never written code before - and you actually get to code 40 hours a week. (40 hours of coding, not email or meetings.) And you only took two weeks of vacation a year. After 5 years, you would have the potential to be an expert developer. (In the book, Malcolm talks about how people like Bill Gates and Bill Joy got their coding experience - he thinks experts are people that got the opportunity to practice 10,000 hours.)

So next time you admire someone for their skills and say "I could never do that" - stop and think. Did you give it the 10,000 hours?

Optionen

7360 Postings, 6134 Tage relaxed#158 Deshalb dauert ein vernünftiges

26.01.10 12:48
Studium auch 5 Jahre.

Soviel zur Bologna-Reform. ;-))  

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanEntwicklung von Tradingsystemen

27.01.10 19:56

Optionen

Angehängte Grafik:
entwicklung_von_tradingsystemen.png (verkleinert auf 36%) vergrößern
entwicklung_von_tradingsystemen.png

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanIm Auftrag von Antoine

09.02.10 16:32

Greatness, Happiness, and Performance: What Contributes to Success

What It Takes To Be An Elite Performer: It's not something you're born with; greatness develops over time. Intensive skill rehearsal is a major component. I've gotten pretty good at identifying who will succeed in a trading career and who won't. The successes are those that work intensively on their trading--when they're making money.

Intelligence: Researcher Dean Keith Simonton hits it on the head: "My view of intelligence is basically a Darwinian one. It's based on sort of the old Functionalist notion that goes way back to Francis Galton, that says that there are a certain set of cognitive capacities that enable an individual to adapt and thrive in any given environment they find themselves in, and those cognitive capacities include things like memory and retrieval, and problem solving and so forth. There's a cluster of cognitive abilities that lead to successful adaptation to a wide range of environments." Successful traders are intelligent in Simonton's sense. They don't just master one pattern or market environment, but adapt to changing market conditions and thus build a career.

Well-Being: Historically, psychologists have spent more time and effort studying dysfunction than positive emotion. Recent studies have utilized a range of methods for evaluating the positive emotional states that people experience. One of the most interesting findings is that of adaptation: when people have good things happen to them (such as winning a lottery or getting a new home or job), they quickly adapt to the new circumstance and wind up with the same overall level of well-being that they experienced before. Similarly, people can experience sizable setbacks, including even the loss of a limb, and return to their prior level of well-being once they've adapted to the change. This helps explain the persistent motivation of successful traders. In an important sense, they never totally feel satisfied with their performance and wealth--they adapt to their new levels of profitability and return to their prior levels of well-being--so they're always trying to accomplish more and reach new levels.

What Makes You Happy: Research suggests that your base of comparison is an important element in your happiness. If you compare yourself to a reference group that makes your accomplishments seem small, you're more likely to be unhappy than if you have more realistic criteria for evaluating your performance. By comparing your current performance to your past, you can focus on the process on making improvements and manage your own well-being. Why is this important? Research finds that happy people are more likely to be successful.

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanx

09.02.10 16:37
What it takes to be great
Research now shows that the lack of natural talent is irrelevant to great success. The secret? Painful and demanding practice and hard work

By Geoffrey Colvin, senior editor-at-large

(Fortune Magazine) -- What makes Tiger Woods great? What made Berkshire Hathaway (Charts) Chairman Warren Buffett the world's premier investor? We think we know: Each was a natural who came into the world with a gift for doing exactly what he ended up doing. As Buffett told Fortune not long ago, he was "wired at birth to allocate capital." It's a one-in-a-million thing. You've got it - or you don't.

Well, folks, it's not so simple. For one thing, you do not possess a natural gift for a certain job, because targeted natural gifts don't exist. (Sorry, Warren.) You are not a born CEO or investor or chess grandmaster. You will achieve greatness only through an enormous amount of hard work over many years. And not just any hard work, but work of a particular type that's demanding and painful.

ffett, for instance, is famed for his discipline and the hours he spends studying financial statements of potential investment targets. The good news is that your lack of a natural gift is irrelevant - talent has little or nothing to do with greatness. You can make yourself into any number of things, and you can even make yourself great.

Scientific experts are producing remarkably consistent findings across a wide array of fields. Understand that talent doesn't mean intelligence, motivation or personality traits. It's an innate ability to do some specific activity especially well. British-based researchers Michael J. Howe, Jane W. Davidson and John A. Sluboda conclude in an extensive study, "The evidence we have surveyed ... does not support the [notion that] excelling is a consequence of possessing innate gifts."

To see how the researchers could reach such a conclusion, consider the problem they were trying to solve. In virtually every field of endeavor, most people learn quickly at first, then more slowly and then stop developing completely. Yet a few do improve for years and even decades, and go on to greatness.

The irresistible question - the "fundamental challenge" for researchers in this field, says the most prominent of them, professor K. Anders Ericsson of Florida State University - is, Why? How are certain people able to go on improving? The answers begin with consistent observations about great performers in many fields.

Scientists worldwide have conducted scores of studies since the 1993 publication of a landmark paper by Ericsson and two colleagues, many focusing on sports, music and chess, in which performance is relatively easy to measure and plot over time. But plenty of additional studies have also examined other fields, including business.

No substitute for hard work

The first major conclusion is that nobody is great without work. It's nice to believe that if you find the field where you're naturally gifted, you'll be great from day one, but it doesn't happen. There's no evidence of high-level performance without experience or practice.

Reinforcing that no-free-lunch finding is vast evidence that even the most accomplished people need around ten years of hard work before becoming world-class, a pattern so well established researchers call it the ten-year rule.

What about Bobby Fischer, who became a chess grandmaster at 16? Turns out the rule holds: He'd had nine years of intensive study. And as John Horn of the University of Southern California and Hiromi Masunaga of California State University observe, "The ten-year rule represents a very rough estimate, and most researchers regard it as a minimum, not an average." In many fields (music, literature) elite performers need 20 or 30 years' experience before hitting their zenith.

So greatness isn't handed to anyone; it requires a lot of hard work. Yet that isn't enough, since many people work hard for decades without approaching greatness or even getting significantly better. What's missing?

Practice makes perfect

The best people in any field are those who devote the most hours to what the researchers call "deliberate practice." It's activity that's explicitly intended to improve performance, that reaches for objectives just beyond one's level of competence, provides feedback on results and involves high levels of repetition.

For example: Simply hitting a bucket of balls is not deliberate practice, which is why most golfers don't get better. Hitting an eight-iron 300 times with a goal of leaving the ball within 20 feet of the pin 80 percent of the time, continually observing results and making appropriate adjustments, and doing that for hours every day - that's deliberate practice.

Consistency is crucial. As Ericsson notes, "Elite performers in many diverse domains have been found to practice, on the average, roughly the same amount every day, including weekends."

Evidence crosses a remarkable range of fields. In a study of 20-year-old violinists by Ericsson and colleagues, the best group (judged by conservatory teachers) averaged 10,000 hours of deliberate practice over their lives; the next-best averaged 7,500 hours; and the next, 5,000. It's the same story in surgery, insurance sales, and virtually every sport. More deliberate practice equals better performance. Tons of it equals great performance.

The skeptics

Not all researchers are totally onboard with the myth-of-talent hypothesis, though their objections go to its edges rather than its center. For one thing, there are the intangibles. Two athletes might work equally hard, but what explains the ability of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady to perform at a higher level in the last two minutes of a game?

Researchers also note, for example, child prodigies who could speak, read or play music at an unusually early age. But on investigation those cases generally include highly involved parents. And many prodigies do not go on to greatness in their early field, while great performers include many who showed no special early aptitude.

Certainly some important traits are partly inherited, such as physical size and particular measures of intelligence, but those influence what a person doesn't do more than what he does; a five-footer will never be an NFL lineman, and a seven-footer will never be an Olympic gymnast. Even those restrictions are less severe than you'd expect: Ericsson notes, "Some international chess masters have IQs in the 90s." The more research that's done, the more solid the deliberate-practice model becomes.

Real-world examples

All this scholarly research is simply evidence for what great performers have been showing us for years. To take a handful of examples: Winston Churchill, one of the 20th century's greatest orators, practiced his speeches compulsively. Vladimir Horowitz supposedly said, "If I don't practice for a day, I know it. If I don't practice for two days, my wife knows it. If I don't practice for three days, the world knows it." He was certainly a demon practicer, but the same quote has been attributed to world-class musicians like Ignace Paderewski and Luciano Pavarotti.

Many great athletes are legendary for the brutal discipline of their practice routines. In basketball, Michael Jordan practiced intensely beyond the already punishing team practices. (Had Jordan possessed some mammoth natural gift specifically for basketball, it seems unlikely he'd have been cut from his high school team.)

In football, all-time-great receiver Jerry Rice - passed up by 15 teams because they considered him too slow - practiced so hard that other players would get sick trying to keep up.

Tiger Woods is a textbook example of what the research shows. Because his father introduced him to golf at an extremely early age - 18 months - and encouraged him to practice intensively, Woods had racked up at least 15 years of practice by the time he became the youngest-ever winner of the U.S. Amateur Championship, at age 18. Also in line with the findings, he has never stopped trying to improve, devoting many hours a day to conditioning and practice, even remaking his swing twice because that's what it took to get even better.

The business side

The evidence, scientific as well as anecdotal, seems overwhelmingly in favor of deliberate practice as the source of great performance. Just one problem: How do you practice business? Many elements of business, in fact, are directly practicable. Presenting, negotiating, delivering evaluations, deciphering financial statements - you can practice them all.

Still, they aren't the essence of great managerial performance. That requires making judgments and decisions with imperfect information in an uncertain environment, interacting with people, seeking information - can you practice those things too? You can, though not in the way you would practice a Chopin etude.

Instead, it's all about how you do what you're already doing - you create the practice in your work, which requires a few critical changes. The first is going at any task with a new goal: Instead of merely trying to get it done, you aim to get better at it.

Report writing involves finding information, analyzing it and presenting it - each an improvable skill. Chairing a board meeting requires understanding the company's strategy in the deepest way, forming a coherent view of coming market changes and setting a tone for the discussion. Anything that anyone does at work, from the most basic task to the most exalted, is an improvable skill.

Adopting a new mindset

Armed with that mindset, people go at a job in a new way. Research shows they process information more deeply and retain it longer. They want more information on what they're doing and seek other perspectives. They adopt a longer-term point of view. In the activity itself, the mindset persists. You aren't just doing the job, you're explicitly trying to get better at it in the larger sense.

Again, research shows that this difference in mental approach is vital. For example, when amateur singers take a singing lesson, they experience it as fun, a release of tension. But for professional singers, it's the opposite: They increase their concentration and focus on improving their performance during the lesson. Same activity, different mindset.

Feedback is crucial, and getting it should be no problem in business. Yet most people don't seek it; they just wait for it, half hoping it won't come. Without it, as Goldman Sachs leadership-development chief Steve Kerr says, "it's as if you're bowling through a curtain that comes down to knee level. If you don't know how successful you are, two things happen: One, you don't get any better, and two, you stop caring." In some companies, like General Electric, frequent feedback is part of the culture. If you aren't lucky enough to get that, seek it out.

Be the ball

Through the whole process, one of your goals is to build what the researchers call "mental models of your business" - pictures of how the elements fit together and influence one another. The more you work on it, the larger your mental models will become and the better your performance will grow.

Andy Grove could keep a model of a whole world-changing technology industry in his head and adapt Intel (Charts) as needed. Bill Gates, Microsoft's (Charts) founder, had the same knack: He could see at the dawn of the PC that his goal of a computer on every desk was realistic and would create an unimaginably large market. John D. Rockefeller, too, saw ahead when the world-changing new industry was oil. Napoleon was perhaps the greatest ever. He could not only hold all the elements of a vast battle in his mind but, more important, could also respond quickly when they shifted in unexpected ways.

That's a lot to focus on for the benefits of deliberate practice - and worthless without one more requirement: Do it regularly, not sporadically.

Why?

For most people, work is hard enough without pushing even harder. Those extra steps are so difficult and painful they almost never get done. That's the way it must be. If great performance were easy, it wouldn't be rare. Which leads to possibly the deepest question about greatness. While experts understand an enormous amount about the behavior that produces great performance, they understand very little about where that behavior comes from.

The authors of one study conclude, "We still do not know which factors encourage individuals to engage in deliberate practice." Or as University of Michigan business school professor Noel Tichy puts it after 30 years of working with managers, "Some people are much more motivated than others, and that's the existential question I cannot answer - why."

The critical reality is that we are not hostage to some naturally granted level of talent. We can make ourselves what we will. Strangely, that idea is not popular. People hate abandoning the notion that they would coast to fame and riches if they found their talent. But that view is tragically constraining, because when they hit life's inevitable bumps in the road, they conclude that they just aren't gifted and give up.

Maybe we can't expect most people to achieve greatness. It's just too demanding. But the striking, liberating news is that greatness isn't reserved for a preordained few. It is available to you and to everyone.

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanxx

09.02.10 16:40
The Expert on Experts

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/110/final-word.html

By: Christopher Percy Collier November 1, 2006

An expert guide to expertise.

K. Anders Ericsson

Professor of Psychology, Florida State University

Ericsson has spent 25 years interviewing and analyzing high-flying professionals. He's the coeditor of the recent 918-page book Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance (Cambridge University Press, 2006), in which he says elite performers aren't genetically superior. They just do things differently. He can explain in less than 900 pages, so we asked him to.

Is talent overrated?
"The traditional assumption is that people come into a professional domain, have similar experiences, and the only thing that's different is their innate abilities. There's little evidence to support this. With the exception of some sports, no characteristic of the brain or body constrains an individual from reaching an expert level."

What do you have to do to become the best?
"Successful people spontaneously do things differently from those individuals who stagnate. They have different practice histories. Elite performers engage in what we call "deliberate practice"--an effortful activity designed to improve individual target performance. There has to be some way they're innovating in the way they do things."

Can you explain how deliberate practice works?
"Here's a typical example: Medical diagnosticians see a patient once or twice, make an assessment in an effort to solve a particularly difficult case, and then they move on. They may never see him or her again. I recently interviewed a highly successful diagnostician who works very differently. He spends a lot of his own time checking up on his patients, taking extensive notes on what he's thinking at the time of diagnosis, and checking back to see how accurate he is. This extra step he created gives him a significant advantage compared with his peers. It lets him better understand how and when he's improving. In general, elite performers utilize some technique that typically isn't well known or widely practiced."

So does experience matter?
"Just because you've been walking for 55 years doesn't mean you're getting better at it. It's very hard for older engineers, for example, to stay competitive with young engineers trained with new and improved methods. Those who are successful have to put in a lot of extra time to learn about these new methods. You have to seek out situations where you get feedback. It's a myth that you get better when you just do the things you enjoy."

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanxxx

09.02.10 16:41

Research in Sport Psychology: What It Means For Traders

Of all the performance fields, sports have stimulated the most research. A 2001 review of findings in sport psychology, for example, takes up well over 800 pages and 30 chapters and already it is being replaced with a 900+ page volume in 2007. When I began writing my book Enhancing Trader Performance, I realized that traders--and mentors of traders--knew little about this research, and yet many of its findings are directly relevant to trader development.

One of my favorite researchers in the sport psychology field is Janet Starkes in the Department of Kinesiology at McMaster University in Ontario. Her research summary in the 2001 Handbook of Sport Psychology is a particularly clear integration of work in the areas of sport and dance.

Here are a few conclusions from the chapter by Drs. Starkes, Helsen, and Jack and what they might mean for traders:

** "The finding that experts in a particular sport are better than novices, not merely at physical skills but also on the underlying perceptual, cognitive, and strategic components of sport, is robust in both laboratory and field research" (p. 175). In other words, when people become skilled, they literally learn to see things in new ways and think in new ways. It's not just a difference of hardware (having better memory, vision, or concentration); experts develop their own software: internal programs that enable them to recognize patterns and act upon them rapidly.

** "The primary importance of the "10-year rule" is that it seems to hold up regardless of the domain investigated. As such, it is one of the most robust findings in expertise research to date" (p. 175). The development of the "internal software" that enables batters to recognize pitches, soccer players to seize openings in the field, and traders to find setups on the fly requires a lengthy process of development in which experience becomes internalized to the point where it is second nature. Structured practice, sustained over time, is essential to success.

** "Understanding what practice is best and how practice should be carried out are even more important questions than how much" (p. 175). As sport psychologists say, it's not that practice makes perfect. Rather, it takes perfect practice to make perfect. Practice that is effective provides immediate feedback and correction to learners and structures tasks in a logical progression, with skills broken down into components for repeated drilling. Sitting in front of a screen and trading is not practice; sitting in front of a screen and drilling placing and managing orders in the book based on readings of order flow is.

** "Data from sport studies also indicate that those practice activities that require the greatest physical effort and mental concentration are ultimately the most enjoyable" (p. 175). This gets at the heart of what develops expertise. The expert performer, in trading as in sport, is born with certain talents and finds the exercise of these to be fulfilling and enjoyable. This sustains the developing performer through the lengthy, 10-year learning curve. The "flow" state described by Csikszentmihalyi is also a state of enhanced information processing. A key to training success is structuring learning to sustain the flow state: that is a major function of coaches.

** "Whether one examines wrestling, figure skating, karate, soccer, or field hockey, there is a montonic relationship between the amount of practice in which one has engaged throughout one's career, and one's eventual athletic success" (p. 186). The way I stated this in my book is that, in every performance field, expert performers spend more time practicing and honing skills than in actually utilizing them in formal competition. Rarely, however, is this the case among traders. Is it so surprising that--according to industry insiders--the average trader blows out of their account within seven months?

On my personal site and in this blog, I cover a range of ideas related to the psychology of traders and the psychology of markets. Few of these ideas, however, are as important as the ones above. Trading psychology can be so much more than endless discussions of controlling emotions, instilling discipline, and thinking positively. The best trading psychology is training, properly structured and informed by research.

There are some good online trading rooms out there. I recently met Andy Swan of Daytrade Team, and it looks as though they're educating traders about trading patterns in real time. I have nothing but positive things to say about Woodie and the CCI Club, which is an unusually supportive and informative real-time forum for learning trading. John Carter's Trade the Markets service comes highly recommended as a place to observe and learn trading in real time. I've known Linda Raschke for quite a few years now and can only offer the highest praise for her continuing online, real-time efforts to educate traders in both futures and equities arenas.

Those are great places to start your training. Eventually you'll need a trading gymnasium: a place to practice skills, obtain feedback, and develop your own expertise. I'm pleased to see that the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, in partnership with the Chicago Board of Trade and the New York Mercantile Exchange, is taking a leadership role in addressing this need. With that kind of institutional support, we may yet get to the point where the development of traders can reach the level of sophistication that we're seeing in sports.

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanA Few Trading Psychology Observations

13.02.10 10:47

A Few Trading Psychology Observations

* From working with developing traders, I'd say that 90% don't/can't sustain the process of keeping a substantive journal. Among the group that does journal, well over 90% of the entries are about themselves and their P/L. I almost never see journal entries devoted to figuring out markets.

* A sizable proportion of traders who have been having problems are trading methods and patterns that used to work, but are no longer operative. The inability to change with changing markets affects traders intraday (when volume/volatility/trend patterns shift) and over longer time frames (when intermarket patterns shift).

* It's a common observation that traders fail because they don't stick to their plans. My experience is different. Traders develop plans and trade patterns that simply don't work; they're based on randomness. When the patterns don't work, traders become frustrated and abandon their plans. So it looks like lack of discipline causes trading failure. But planning doesn't create success; sound planning does. Sticking to plans based on randomness is no virtue.

* I mentioned in my book an important law of performance: In every performance field of note--from Olympic athletics to Broadway--performers spend more time in practice than in formal performance. That is how expertise develops. The ratio of "practice" time (time spent on markets outside of trading) to trading time is a worthwhile indicator of a trader's prospective success.

* Among the predictors of trading success, a "passion for trading" is grossly overrated. The successful traders have a passion for markets, which is very different from a passion for trading. Indeed, a passion for trading in the absence of passion for markets is a fair definition of addiction.

* Some traders habitually look for tops in a rising market and bottoms in a falling one. There's much to be said for countertrend methods, but not when the need to be right exceeds the need to make money.

* An underrated element in trading success is mental flexibility: the ability to shift views and perceptions as new data enter the marketplace. It takes a certain lack of ego to form a strong view and then modify it in the face of new evidence.

* A trader I spoke with recently told me he was going to trade more aggressively by putting on more trades. Trading more frequently is not necessarily trading more aggressively, and it certainly isn't necessarily trading prudently. Trading more aggressively means allocating more risk capital to particular (sound) trade ideas. A considerable portion of traders would benefit from trading less frequently *and* more aggressively.

* Nice litmus test for any website devoted to trading education, coaching, and the like: If the site spends more time promoting the person than promoting ideas, you have a good sense for the site's priorities. Caveat emptor.

* Many traders fail because they're focused on what the market *should* be doing, rather than on what it *is* doing. The stock market leads, not follows, economic fundamentals. Some of the best investment opportunities occur when markets are looking past news, positive or negative.

* Success in trading requires the capacity for personal investment. Too many traders close out their efforts, along with their positions, at the end of the day.

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanSelbsteinschätzung von Tradern

13.02.10 11:08

Optionen

Angehängte Grafik:
selbsteinschaetzung.png (verkleinert auf 38%) vergrößern
selbsteinschaetzung.png

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanUrteile immer selbst

13.02.10 13:43

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanUrteile immer selbst!

13.02.10 13:44

Optionen

Angehängte Grafik:
urteilen.png (verkleinert auf 46%) vergrößern
urteilen.png

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanLass dasTraden sein!

26.02.10 20:03
http://www.tradingredaktion.at/psychologie/lass-das-traden-sein
24.02.2010 | Psychologie
Lass das Traden sein!

Mal ganz ehrlich, warum willst du traden? Weswegen? Willst du damit schnell und einfach sehr viel Geld verdienen? Oder möchte man vor Kollegen oder Freunden als etwas Besonderes angesehen werden?

Vielleicht liegt es auch daran, weil es so schwierig ist, auf lange Sicht gesehen, erfolgreich zu sein, in diesem Business. Meistens will der Mensch das haben, was er nicht haben kann. Wer möchte nicht zu dieser kleinen Gruppe gehören, doch auch wenn man sich über die Massen anstrengt, schaffen es die meisten ja doch nie.

Warum ist Trading so schwierig?

Man liest eine menge von Büchern übers Traden. Es erscheint einem auch irgendwie alles logisch und möchte es dann natürlich auch gleich ausprobieren. Es läuft sogar in den ersten Monaten vielleicht gar nicht so schlecht, doch plötzlich läuft gar nichts mehr. Man beginnt das gelesene Wissen zu verwerfen und sucht selbst nach dem richtigen Weg.

Diese Phase beansprucht sehr viel Zeit, denn man beobachtet ja täglich über Monate nun den Markt und versucht herauszufinden, was das Geheimnis ist, um den Markt vorauszusagen. Nach der Zeit glaubt man etwas Geheimnisvolles gefunden zu haben, doch nach paar richtigen Trades kommt man schnell wieder zur Einsicht es ist es doch nicht.

Das Problem doch dabei ist, dass der Trader versucht Einstiegssignale zu finden die fast immer 100% ins Schwarze treffen. Sollte nun das gefundene Einstiegssignal dieser Denkweise nicht entsprechen, verwerft man das Ganze wieder. In den letzten Monaten hat sich also nicht viel getan, außer das der Trader jeden Tag vor dem PC sitz und dabei seine Familie, Freunde ja das ganze soziale Umfeld daran leidet.

Nachdem ein paar Jahre vergangen sind, hat der Trader einiges an Wissen dazugewonnen und hat versucht sich stets weiter zu entwickeln. Er weiß nun, zum Traden gehört eine Handelsstrategie. Sprich Einstiegssignale die sich wiederholen, eine richtig angewandte Stoppsetzung, das richtige Money und Riskmanagement, eine erstklassige Tradingaufzeichnung mit Tradingtagebuch.

Er hat es nun geschafft! FALSCH!!! Er ist noch deprimierter als je zuvor. Er macht lauter Verluste. Er versteht die Welt nicht mehr, was macht er nur falsch. Er denkt sich jetzt vielleicht, es ist der falsche Markt ich probiere andere Sachen aus. In den nächsten Jahren versucht er das ganze Spektrum was es nur gibt durch zu versuchen, vielleicht ist er ja für etwas anderes geboren bzw. funktioniert seine Handelsstrategie wo anders viel besser.

Jahre vergehen nun und der Trader muss sich eingestehen im Endeffekt war alles für die Katz. Er war teilweise erfolgreich doch das hat sich dann nach ein paar wenigen Monaten wieder eingestellt. Der Trader ist nun physisch am ENDE. Er kann nicht mehr, er will nicht mehr. Er weiß nun so viel über Börse, dass er im Endeffekt nichts weiß. Es ist nun so viel Zeit vergangen und er hat bis jetzt nichts erreicht in seinen Augen. Aufgeben will er aber doch nicht, denn die ganze verschwendete Zeit bis jetzt soll sich doch irgendwann mal rentieren, VERDAMMT noch mal!

Was soll er nun machen? Er bittet andere um Hilfe.

Der Trader schreibt nun in Foren um Hilfe. Schreibt an Autoren, die ein Buch zum Thema Trading rausgebraucht haben, und hofft eine Antwort zu finden. Was glaubt Ihr, an was muss er arbeiten? Hier einige Punkte dazu.

• Der Trader hat sich noch nie damit beschäftigt, was er eigentlich erreichen möchte im Trading. Wie viel Geld hat man zum Traden und was möchte ich erreichen? 10% im Jahr? Warum diese Performance?

• Der Trader sieht den Wald vor lauter Bäumen nicht mehr. Es ist unbedingt eine Pause nötig, am besten ein halbes Jahr, wenn nicht sogar ein ganzes Jahr. Wie will jemand erfolgreich traden, wenn er sich selbst nicht mehr erträgt. (Frage: Warum sagt man eigentlich, man sieht den Wald vor lauter Bäumen nicht mehr? Ohne Bäume gäbe es keinen Wald, oder? :-)

• Viele Trader machen den Fehler und glauben Sie können den Markt voraussagen. Es gibt niemanden der einem genau sagen kann, wo der Markt nächste Woche zum Beispiel ist. Das mach nur Stress. Der Trader muss lernen, dass alles ein Spiel der Wahrscheinlichkeiten ist.

• Der Trader hat eine Handelsstrategie nicht lange genug ausprobiert. Nur wenn ein Handelssystem in den ersten zwei Monaten nicht gut läuft, muss das nicht heißen, das man am Jahresende keine gute Performance erreicht. Eine Handelsstrategie funktioniert nicht immer, deswegen hat man ja mehrere, damit die anderen einspringen können.

• Er macht zu viele Trades am Tag. Wenn der Markt seit Wochen Short ist und man nur Long Trades macht und mehr als man sollte, dann ist es kein Wunder, dass das Konto eines Tages leer ist. Der Trader sagt vielleicht, es muss doch eine meiner Strategien funktionieren, deshalb mache ich mehr Trades.

• Was ist die wichtigste Regel im Trading? Kapitalerhalt! Unser Ziel ist es unser Geld vor anderen zu schützen. Wenn man nach 10 fehlgeschlagenen Trades ein Minus von 50% aufweist, dann kann doch etwas nicht Stimmen, oder?

• Der Trader hat erstklassige Tradingaufzeichnungen, doch was nützt das Ganze, wenn man es ohnehin nicht verwendet bzw. anschaut. Man macht sich die Mühe alles zu dokumentieren und dann wertet man diese Sachen nicht aus? Wie willst du wissen, welche Strategie gerade nicht läuft?

• Man sollte sich auf einen Bereich spezialisieren. Man muss nicht von allem eine Ahnung haben. Es genügen die Bereiche zu kennen, indem man sich aufhält. Warum auch nicht in einzelne Aktien sich spezialisieren? Jede Aktie hat ihre Eigenheit.

• Die meisten wissen ohnehin was Sie falsch machen, das Problem ist nur das man es auch von anderen erst hören muss um dann, danach zu handeln.

Das wären ein paar Punkte, doch etwas Wichtiges wurde noch nicht aufgezählt. Der psychologische Faktor beim Traden.

Und genau dieser Faktor ist entscheidend, warum Trading so schwer ist. Deswegen auch die Überschrift „Lass das Traden sein!“ Was bringt es jemanden, alles zu wissen, wie man erfolgreich wird im Trading, wenn man es nicht anwenden KANN. Auch wenn man vielleicht möchte, viele werden es einfach nicht schaffen.

Warum schaffen es viele nicht, einfache Regeln zu befolgen? Larry Winget würde jetzt sicher sagen, weil der Mensch dumm und ein Idiot ist. Und er hat sicherlich recht. Wenn man es nach Jahren harter Arbeit nicht schafft, sich an sein Regelwerk zu halten, dann sollte man sich eingestehen, dass alles Zeitverschwendung ist und Trading nichts für einen ist. Es heißt nicht umsonst Trading is a mind game.

Ein erfolgreiches Trading und nicht entmutigen lassen!

Benjamin Scurtu

Benjamin Scurtu
www.ihr-ratgeber.at

Eine Bestellmöglichkeit des Trading Buchs von Benjamin Scurtu finden Sie hier

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanRache

26.02.10 20:09
http://www.tradingredaktion.at/psychologie/rache

22.09.2009 | Psychologie
Rache 

Wir haben uns bereits mit dem größten Fehler eines jeden Spekulanten auseinandergesetzt: mit der unterlassenen Risikokontrolle. Doch handelt es sich hier nur um einen von vielen Fehlern, die im täglichen Handel passieren. Es gibt noch ein weiteres Malheur, auf das ich nun etwas genauer eingehen möchte …

Auch dieser Fehler kostet einen Spekulanten viel Geld, ohne dass er sich dieser Tatsache vielleicht bewusst ist. Es geht darum, es dem Markt heimzahlen zu wollen. Kurz gesagt: es geht um Rache!

Betrachten wir folgende Situation, um diesen Tradingfehler zu beschreiben und die dahinter liegenden Ursachen ans Licht zu bringen. Unser Spekulant hat eine ganz bestimmte Aktie im Visier. Es ist die Aktie von Daimler und dem Trader fällt auf, dass dieser Wert schon dreimal an einer Widerstandslinie abgeprallt ist und diese Kursmarke einfach nicht durchbrechen konnte. Er fasst daher den Plan, diese Aktie long zu handeln, wenn dieser Widerstand um ein halbes Prozent nach oben hin durchbrochen wird, weil er dann annimmt, dass es dieses Mal so weit sein könnte und der Wert nun in den Himmel steigt.

Da der Trader sehr gewissenhaft agiert und strengstes Moneymanagement praktiziert, hat er im Vorfeld auch seinen Stoppkurs festgelegt. So kennt er die genaue Positionsgröße und weiß, genau xx Aktien kaufen zu dürfen, um sein maximales Gesamtrisiko nicht zu überschreiten. Geduldig beobachtet unser Trader, wie sich der Wert erneut langsam diesem Widerstand nähert und eine halbe Stunde später ist der geplante Kaufkurs dann tatsächlich erreicht.

Alles was jetzt noch zu tun wäre ist, auf „kaufen“ zu klicken. Doch unser Spekulant schafft es nicht. Er ist unsicher und zögert. Während die Sekunden verstreichen steigt die Nervosität des Trades weiter. Der Kurs schreit ihn förmlich entgegen doch der Finger des Traders bleibt gelähmt. Das Zeitfenster schließt sich und die Aktie marschiert weiter nach oben und noch immer starrt der Trader auf den Bildschirm, ohne eine Handlung zu setzen. Der Kurs geht weiter hinauf, der Abstand vom geplanten Einstiegskurs wächst auf +1%. Später auf +2% und dann sind es sogar +4%. Die Aktie explodiert regelrecht nach oben und der Trader beobachtet fassungslos das Treiben. Langsam erwacht er aus seiner Starre aber anstatt den Trade ziehen zu lassen steigen nun die Emotionen in ihn hoch. Er kocht vor Wut und zählt geistig bereits die nicht verdienten Gewinne.

Sein Zorn richtet sich auf den Markt denn er denkt, die Börsen hätten ihm um seinen sicheren Gewinn gebracht. Er schäumt und beschließt, sich dafür zu rächen. Er will sich um jeden Preis das zurückholen, was ihm seiner Meinung nach zusteht. Sein Geld, dass ihm eben von den Börsen vorenthalten wurde. Doch in seiner Wut vergisst er, dass es einen Markt als Person oder Einheit ja gar nicht gibt und das die Kursbewegung bloß von den vielen getätigten Geschäften herrührt, die während einer bestimmten Handelsspanne getätigt wurden. Der Markt ist daher unschuldig an seinem eigenen Verhalten. Doch das kümmert unseren Trader nicht und er springt (zu) spät auf den losbrausenden Zug auf und kauft die Aktie zu einem gut 4% höheren Kurs.

Doch genau zu diesem Zeitpunkt dreht die Aktie und sinkt. Konstatiert versucht der Trader nun, den Ticker zu beschwören doch seine Versuche bleiben ungehört. Es geht weiter nach unten und die Papierverluste werden größer und größer. An einen Stopp wurde in dieser Situation natürlich nicht gedacht und so endet es, wie es enden musste. Aus dem vorher kalkulierten Verlust von „1R“ wird das doppelte oder dreifache. Und alles wegen der Gier und den Rachegelüsten. Wenn Sie sich in so einer Situation rächen wollen dann tun Sie es. Bestrafen Sie sich in irgendeiner Form für diesen Tradingfehler. Verzichten Sie auf das Abendessen oder laufen zwei Stunden statt einer. Und schalten Sie nach so einem Fehler am besten ihren Computer aus, sonst bestrafen Sie sich mit unangebrachten Mitteln: Mit schlechten Trades!

Möchten Sie die trading redaktion kontaktieren? Senden Sie mir bitte ein Email

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanKeys to Daytrading Success and Why So Few Traders

31.03.10 18:11

http://traderfeed.blogspot.com/2010/03/keys-to-daytrading-success-and-why-so.html

Thanks to several alert readers for sending me this insightful New York Times article on daytrading and the challenge of daytraders.

A while back, I posted on the topic of research concerning individual daytraders and how many of them are truly successful. That is worth reading or re-reading: it clearly indicates that most active trading is hazardous to traders' wealth, but that a small group of participants are able to sustain success.

This is not like most career fields, where an average teacher, middle manager, or sales person can sustain a living. An average performance in trading is one in which the trader does not make money at all. The Times article cites research suggesting support for the often-cited statistic that 80% of daytraders lose money.

I'm in an interesting position, because--as a trading coach--I see the actual trading of actual traders, not the performance claims of wannabee gurus. I also see which traders have been able to sustain meaningful livings from their trading and which have not.

Here is a post outlining what I see among the consistently successful traders. The links at the bottom of the post will also help you focus on what helps traders sustain solid performance.

Ultimately, the most important contributors to trading success are twofold:

1) The development of concrete trading skills: pattern recognition, ability to execute sound trade ideas to create a positive expectancy, sound risk management;

2) The cultivation of the mental toughness, continuous learning, and discipline that enable you to adapt to new, challenging market conditions.

Sitting at a computer each day, not having a concrete strategy for the day, and relying on a vague sense of intuition to get you through is not going to cut it.

Success is something the great traders do, not just something they have. They work on building skills, they work on building themselves, and they have routines in place for accomplishing both.

Do you?

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanTen Characteristics I See Among Successful Traders

31.03.10 18:13

http://traderfeed.blogspot.com/2009/10/...cteristics-i-see-among.html

There's no one formula for trading success, but there are a few common denominators that I've tracked in my years of working with traders:

1) The amount of time spent on their trading outside of trading hours (preparation, reading, etc.);

2) Dedicated periods to reviewing trading performance and making adjustments to shifting market conditions;

3) The ability to stop trading when not trading well to institute reviews and when conviction is lacking;

4) The ability to become more aggressive and risk taking when trading well and with conviction;

5) A keen awareness of risk management in the sizing of positions and in daily, weekly, and monthly loss limits, as well as loss limits per position;

6) Ongoing ability to learn new skills, markets, and strategies;

7) Distinctive ways of viewing and following markets that leverage their skills;

8) Persistence and emotional resilience: the ability to keep going in the face of setback;

9) Competitiveness: a relentless drive for self-improvement;

10) Balance: sources of well-being outside of trading that help sustain energy and focus.

Over the years, I've learned to respect more the traders who sustain success over many years than the traders who have blowout individual years of profitability. The above criteria are a kind of checklist one can use to determine if you share the qualities I see among those career successes.

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardyman.....um als Day-Trader überleben zu können?

10.04.10 09:57
Was braucht man, um als Day-Trader überleben zu können?
von Jochen Steffens

Nutzen wir die etwas unentschlossenen Börsen der Osterferien, um ein wenig aus dem Nähkästchen zu plaudern:

Welche Voraussetzungen braucht man, um Day-Trader zu werden? Das ist eine Frage, die mir in dieser oder anderer Form immer wieder gestellt wird. Natürlich ist sie so einfach kaum zu beantworten. Die Erfordernisse sind höchst individuell. Auch das, was die verschiedenen Menschen sich unter dem Begriff „Trader“ vorstellen, unterscheidet sich bereits.

Zwischen Schein und Sein

Das erste Problem ist, dass die Vorstellungen der Fragenden oft meilenweit von jedweder Realität entfernt sind. Nun gehöre ich nicht zu den Börsianern, die das Leben eines Traders in schillernden Farben beschreiben, denn das ist Unsinn.

Yacht und Südsee

Ich kann mich noch gut erinnern, als ich nach den ersten Erfolgen langfristiger Investitionen ermutigt den Entschluss fasste, mich dem kurzfristigen Traden zu widmen. Zu dem Zeitpunkt, war ich mir vollkommen sicher: Es würde ein, höchstens zwei Jahre dauern - wenn überhaupt - bis ich auf einer Jacht durch die Südsee schippern würde und jeden Tag mit ein oder zwei Trades mein ansonsten ausschweifendes Leben finanzieren würde…

Es gab sogar eine Zeit, in der es zu funktionieren schien (vor dem Jahr 2000). Doch wenn ich nun nach so vielen Jahren auf meine Traderkarriere zurückblicke, muss ich leider feststellen, dass die Realität sich kaum weiter von meinem damaligen Traum hätte entfernen können.

Zeit – viel Zeit

Statt Südsee und Luftschlössern blieben unzählige Stunden harter Arbeit. Ich habe zeitweise jeden Tag, jedes Wochenende, ohne Urlaub, 12 bis 16 Stunden am Tag vor den Monitoren gesessen. Das alles nur, um dieser Börse endlich ihre Geheimnisse abzuringen. Das ging über Jahre – bei mir waren es in dieser extremen Form in etwas fünf Jahre.

Und das ist die erste Voraussetzung: Zeit – sehr viel Zeit. Rechnen Sie mit durchschnittlich fünf Jahren Zeit bei täglicher Beschäftigung.

Geld – viel Geld

Und damit kommt das nächste Problem: Wovon lebt man in dieser Zeit, zumal man oft gerade am Anfang noch Verluste erleiden wird. Diese müssen auch finanziert werden. Ich habe letztens noch einmal nachgerechnet, wie viel mich die (autodidaktische) Ausbildung zum Trader eigentlich gekostet hat. Wenn ich die Kosten für Lebensunterhalt, die anfänglichen Verluste und sonstigen Ausgaben zusammenrechne, komme ich auf einen Betrag von 120.000 DM, also ca. 60.000 Euro.

Gut, das entspricht in etwa den Kosten eines kompletten Studiums (je nach Studiengang und Stadt).

Geduld und Durchhaltevermögen

Tatsächlich gelingt es aber nur wenigen Menschen, mehrere Jahre ohne Erfolgserlebnisse durchzuhalten. Ich vermute, man muss schon einer gewissen Form des Börsenwahnsinns verfallen sein, um immer und immer wieder neue Methoden und Herangehensweisen, neue Börsen, neue Indikatoren, neue charttechnische Modelle und neue Theorien auszuprobieren, bis man in dem großen Fundus an Börsenmüll die Dinge gefunden hat, die funktionieren. Tatsächlich gibt es wahrscheinlich kaum einen anderen Beruf, bei dem man noch mehr Misserfolge erleiden muss, um zur Meisterschaft zu gelangen. Wenn ich heute überlege, welchen abstrusen Ideen und seltsamen Thesen ich gefolgt bin. Aber gut, das gehört wohl dazu.

Charakterliche Stärke

Und wenn Sie all diese Hürden überwunden haben (oft schon früher), erscheint das große Börsenduo, das letzten Endes die Spreu der Trader vom Weizen trennen: Gier und Angst.

Korrekter muss es heißen Gier und Selbstüberschätzung und Angst und Misstrauen in die eigenen Fähigkeiten.

Nach all den Tief- und Rückschlägen, nachdem viel Geld verloren wurde und die Börse sich immer wieder weigert, Regelmäßigkeiten aufzuweisen, erstarren viele Trader-Anwärter in Angst. Angst vor dem nächsten Trade, Angst vor dem Verlust und noch schlimmer, die Angst davor, dass ein Gewinn wieder ins Minus läuft.

Diese Angst veranlasst die arme Traderseele, zu schnell auszusteigen, wenn es gegen sie läuft. Es verhindert, dass Gewinne laufen gelassen werden (sprich sie werden schnell realisiert, damit sie nicht wieder in sich zusammenbrechen). Diese Angst verhindert, dass Trades eingegangen werden, die lukrativ sind, weil man nach einer nicht existenten Sicherheit sucht. Diese Angst und das daraus resultierende Misstrauen in die eigenen Fähigkeiten kann aus einem guten Trader ein Traderwrack machen – unfähig zu handeln.

Die Gier

Doch noch diffiziler agiert die Gier. Wenn sich dann irgendwann Gewinne einstellen, werden viele Trader übermütig. Zunächst sind es die kleinen gierigen Euphorien. Nach einer guten Woche will man mit dem einen letzten Trade nun richtig absahnen. Das sind natürlich meistens die Trades, die vollkommen in die Hose gehen und den Wochengewinn wieder vernichten. Wie oft ist es die Gier, die verursacht, dass man nach einer guten Phase das Risiko hoch- und die Schutzmechanismen runterfährt? Es gibt Trader, die seit vielen Jahren immer über Wochen gute Gewinne machen, um dann durchzudrehen. In wenigen Tagen wird daraufhin die Arbeit von Wochen, zum Teil sogar Monaten zunichte gemacht.

Gier im Endstadium

Aber das ist noch nicht die schlimmste Form der Gier. Diese schlimmste Gier entsteht meist spät in der Karriere. Dann nämlich wenn es wirklich gut läuft. Es entsteht ein schleichender Prozess, der zu Arroganz und Überheblichkeit führt. Doch diese Charaktermischung hat eine fatale Folge: Sie führt dazu, dass die Betroffenen die Bodenhaftung verlieren. Und ohne Bodenhaftung ist die Katastrophe vorprogrammiert. In solchen Momenten werden die wirklich großen Fehler gemacht, die tatsächlich ein ganzes Traderleben vernichten können. Ich habe in meinem Umkreis leider bereits mehrere solcher Fälle miterleben müssen. Zwar kommen die meisten wieder auf die Füße, aber in seltenen Fällen ist es anschließend mit dem Traden ganz vorbei.

Vorzeichen

Ich finde es übrigens hoch interessant, dass gerade bei den schreibenden Kollegen dieses völlige Abdriften oft schon Wochen vorher am Schreibstil zu erkennen ist. Also wenn Sie bei Börsenbriefautoren oder Analysten das Gefühl haben, dass da nun jemand wirklich jeden Kontakt zur Wirklichkeit verliert und den Eindruck vermittelt, ihm könne nun nichts mehr passieren, er habe die endgültige Börsenweisheit mit Löffeln gefressen – machen Sie sich sehr schnell davon!

Übrigens sind, wie wir in den letzten beiden Jahren schmerzhaft erfahren durften, offensichtlich auch Top-Manager von Banken nicht davor gefeit, dieser Schwäche zu erliegen…

Die Gier und die damit zusammenhängende Selbstüberschätzung zu überwinden, erfordert die Fähigkeit, sich immer wieder in Allem in Frage zu stellen. Eine Fähigkeit, die zu den überlebenswichtigsten an den Börsen gehört.

Das Chaos

Wenn sie all diese Schritte gegangen sind, bleibt am Ende nur noch eins übrig: Es ist das unlösbare Problem des Berufs „Trader“. Hinter all den Schleiern, den Geschichten und den Mythen stellen Sie zum Schluss fest, dass Börse immer eine chaotische Komponente hat. Börse ist also letztendlich also nie wirklich fassbar und entzieht sie sich damit auf immer der Sicherheit.

Wir Menschen haben allerdings eine Schwäche für Sicherheiten. Wir brauchen sie, um zu entspannen, um uns zu erholen. Wenn Sie lange Jahre einem anderen Beruf nachgehen, werden Sie irgendwann die Abläufe kennen. Alles ist Ihnen vertraut. Das gibt ein Gefühl der Sicherheit und Souveränität.

Die Börsen sind jedoch immer anders. Andauernd tauchen neue Themen auf, mit denen Sie sich noch nie vorher beschäftigt haben (wer von uns hat sich jemals zuvor mit der Wirtschaft Griechenlands auseinandergesetzt?). Trader ist demnach ein Job, der bis ins hohe Alter Unruhe ins alltägliche Leben bringt. Kein Wunder, dass die Finanzbranche zu den Branchen gehört, in denen die meisten Burn Outs entstehen.

Die letzte, langfristige Voraussetzung ist demnach, die Fähigkeit sich unverzagt immer wieder dem Chaos Tag für Tag aufs Neue zu stellen und jeglichen Neuerungen offen gegenüberzustehen.

Fazit

Interessant ist dabei folgendes: Wenn ich die Fragenden mit diesen Antworten konfrontiere, denke ich immer, dass sie eigentlich ernüchtert reagieren müssten. Man müsste doch angesichts dieser Erfordernisse und Gefahren den Wunsch Trader zu werden zumindest hinterfragen, wenn nicht sogar verwerfen. Aber das passiert nicht – eher das genaue Gegenteil.

Hin und wieder vermute ich, dass es damit zusammenhängt, dass wir gelangweilten Industriestaaten-Menschen einfach im Leben endlich mal eine richtige Herausforderung suchen. Etwas, dass uns an unsere Grenzen bringen kann. Und keine Frage, da ist die Börse sicherlich ein geeignetes Medium.

Wenn Sie es übrigens geschafft haben, erwartet sie etwas, das den ganzen Aufwand wirklich lohnenswert erscheinen lässt: Es gibt keinen anderen Job, in dem Sie freier und unabhängiger sind, denn als eigenverantwortlicher Trader.

Viele Grüße

Jochen Steffens

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanGedankenstopp

10.04.10 23:21
06.04.2010 | Psychologie
Gedankenstopp

Stellen Sie sich folgende Situation vor: Am Tag 1 nach dem Entry eines long Trades hat der gehandelte Wert nach dem Einstieg um gut 6% zugelegt. Diese 6% entsprechen mehr als 3 R und sofort beginnen nun die endlosen Gedankenschleifen des Traders: Was mache ich mit dieser Position, welche Handlung ist nun „richtig“? Soll ich den Stopp dort lassen wo er ist, soll ich ihn nachziehen (wohin??) oder soll ich glattstellen?

Auch bei einem Trade, bei dem es gegen einen läuft, kommt man gerne auf Gedanken wie: „Der Wert ist ins Minus gelaufen. Ich werde sicher bald ausgestoppt. Soll ich manuell glattstellen, und mir so ein halbes R Verlust ersparen?“.

Hat man ein paar Jahre an den Märkten auf dem Buckel, bemerkt man rasch, wie unsinnig diese Gedanken eigentlich sind. Denn das einzig Richtige ist, in jedem Fall bei seinem Regelwerk zu bleiben. Sehen diese Richtlinien vor, den Stopp am Tief der Kerze charttechnisch nachzuziehen, dann wird auch jeder Trade genau so behandelt. Sagt das Regelwerk: „stelle glatt nach +3 R und realisiere den Gewinn“, wird auch dies so ausgeführt. Selbst wenn die Vorgaben meinen, der Stopp wird zunächst gar nicht nachgezogen, ist das in Ordnung, und der erfahrene Trader kommt gar nicht auf die Idee, anders zu verfahren.

Doch niemand behauptet, dass das jeweilige Regelwerk in jedem Fall die beste Lösung darstellt. Weil das so ist, liegt gerade hier der Hase im Pfeffer verborgen. Wann wissen wir denn, ob in einer bestimmten Situation unsere Handlung richtig oder falsch war? Wenn wir das Resultat kennen, und wenn wir wissen, was aus dem Trade geworden ist. Wie sollen wir das aber im Vorhinein wissen? Wie sollen wir erraten, ob ein Trade die +3 R Papiergewinn wieder zur Gänze abgibt, oder ob am nächsten Tag nochmals 3R dazukommen? Für keinen Trader ist absehbar, was die Zukunft bringen wird und daher liegt die einzige Sicherheit darin, sich an seinen Plan zu halten.

Ich denke, die meisten Händler wissen in Wahrheit, dass es keine richtige Entscheidung in so einer Situation geben kann. Trotzdem machen Sie sich ständig Gedanken über ihre offenen Positionen. Und was noch viel schlimmer ist – Sie beurteilen ihr Regelwerk rückblickend anhand der erzielten Resultate des einzelnen Trades!

Ein weiteres Beispiel: Trader X geht short und der Wert fällt um 1 R von seinem Einstiegskurs. Er freut sich, ist aber zeitgleich nervös, weil es die letzten Tage nicht so gut lief. Daher entschließt er sich, den Trade glattzustellen und die Profite ins Trockene zu bringen. Kaum ist das Geld seinem Konto gutgeschrieben, dreht die Aktie und steigt. Gegen Börsenschluss hat der Wert alle Verluste des heutigen Handelstages wettgemacht und schließt leicht im Plus. Als unser Trader am Abend nochmals die Kurse betrachtet, fühlt er sich in seinem Handeln bestätigt. Er denkt, er hat die richtige Entscheidung getroffen und klopft sich auf die Schulter. Er glaubt, es deswegen „richtig“ gemacht zu haben, weil der Trade nach seinem Glattstellen wieder nach oben gelaufen ist. Er beurteilt seine Wahl rückblickend anhand des Ergebnisses.

Was denken Sie, wie würde dieser Trader über seine Handlung denken, wenn der Trade am gleichen Tag kurz nach seinem Exit um weitere 2 R gefallen wäre? Erinnern Sie sich an eine ähnliche Situation aus Ihrem Trading Alltag – wie würden Sie denken, wenn Sie einen Wert glattstellen (warum auch immer) und danach läuft er weiter massiv in Ihre Richtung? Sie würden ganz bestimmt die Meinung vertreten, einen Fehler gemacht zu haben. Aber kann man das als Fehler bezeichnen, wenn man überlegt, dass an der Börse die unbekannte Zukunft gehandelt wird? Wenn Sie etwas nicht wissen können, trotzdem aber eine Entscheidung treffen müssen, die sich nachträglich dann als ungünstig herausgestellt hat, wo lag da der Fehler Ihrerseits?

Ich bin davon überzeugt, dass die meisten Trader diesbezüglich falsch denken und sich selbst das Leben schwer machen. Auch bei mir war es früher nicht anders. Ständig durchlief ich diese Gedankenschleifen bei jedem Trade, und stellte mir immer die bohrende Frage: „Was soll ich jetzt machen“? Irgendwann setzte sich jedoch die Erkenntnis durch: „ich mache das, was mein Regelwerk vorsieht.“

Mal wird ein und dieselbe Entscheidung richtig sein, mal werde ich damit falsch liegen. Warum also sich über etwas Gedanken machen, was ohnehin niemand wissen kann. Es war mir irgendwann einfach zu dumm, ständig zu grübeln. Ich wurde diesbezüglich zu faul zum denken, und heute laufen meine Trades weitgehend nach Schema F ab und so erspare ich mir einige graue Haare. Ich liege damit nicht immer richtig, aber ich liege damit auch nicht immer falsch. Diese ausgewogene Mischung reicht aber, um an den Märkten Geld zu verdienen.

In der trading redaktion habe ich bereits einige Strategien und Regelwerke präsentiert, mit denen man an den Märkten erfolgreich agieren kann. Für viele angehende Trader ist es jedoch überhaupt schwierig, sich an bestimmte Richtlinien zu halten. Ständig wird hin und her überlegt, wie und ob man in der aktuellen Situation nicht doch alle Regeln über Bord werfen sollte. Man will einen „besseren“ Weg finden als den, bei den eigenen Vorgaben zu bleiben, aber aufgrund der Unvorhersagbarkeit der Börsenkurse wird das einige Probleme nach sich ziehen…

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanWann ist ein Trader ein "reifer" Trader?

30.05.10 10:18

http://www.tradingredaktion.at/psychologie/wann-ist-ein-trader-ein-reifer-trader

Wann ist ein Trader ein "reifer" Trader?

In diversen Trading Büchern (auch in meinem Buch) wird sehr oft vom „reifen Trader“ oder vom „erfahrenen Trader“ gesprochen. Oder vom Gegenteil, dem „unerfahrenen Trader“ und so weiter. Ein Seminarteilnehmer fragte mich eines Tages, was ich denn unter einem reifen Trader verstehen würde. Wann ist ein Trader „reif“ beziehungsweise wann ist er „unreif“? Im ersten Moment konnte ich darauf keine eindeutige Antwort geben, …

Auszug aus meinem Buch Das Trader Coaching

…und ich habe lange über diese Frage nachgedacht. Was zeichnet einen reifen Trader aus? Worin unterscheidet er sich vom unreifen, unerfahrenen Trader? Eines war mir sofort klar: Es kann nicht nur an der Performance liegen. Diese ist kein alleiniger Indikator für das Entwicklungsstadium eines Traders. Was ist es dann?

Sind es die Jahre an Erfahrung, die diesen Umstand ausmachen? Da kommen wir der Sache schon näher. Aber auch dieser Faktor ist nicht allein für die Reife eines Traders ausschlaggebend. Drehen wir die Frage hingegen um, wird es einfacher. Wann gilt ein Trader als „unreif“? Ein Trader ist unreif, solange er den Prozess „Trading“ nicht als solchen erkennt. Solange er glaubt, Trading sei ein einfaches Unterfangen, und nicht bereit ist, etwas über sich und das Trading zu lernen.

Denn genau da teilt sich der Weg für den angehenden Trader. Aus dem „Spiel Trading“ kann an diesem Punkt der Entwicklung etwas Ernsthaftes entstehen. Zu dem Zeitpunkt, da der Trader merkt, dass er bestimmte Entwicklungsschritte vollziehen muss, um voranzukommen, beginnt die Evolution des Traders. Das ist der Zeitpunkt, an dem er Spaß am Lernen entwickelt. Wenn er neugierig wird und – was am wichtigsten ist – wenn er erkennt, dass diese Weiterentwicklung nicht nur das Fachwissen allein betrifft, sondern auch seine Persönlichkeit.

Viele Trader sind dazu jedoch nicht bereit, sie wollen weder lernen noch arbeiten. Trading ist für sie bloß ein Zeitvertreib oder eine Abwechslung. Sie suchen ein Hobby oder ein Spiel und wollen den Computer starten und Spaß haben. Sie möchten natürlich gewinnen, sie wollen aber nicht am Gesamtprozess arbeiten und sie denken, es genüge, einfach ein Signal zu traden, den Stopp zu setzen und die Gewinne einzustreichen. Was ihnen fehlt ist die Ernsthaftigkeit, die Nachhaltigkeit und das tiefe Bemühen um die Sache, und das sind genau die Aspekte, die einen reifen Trader auszeichnen.

Ein reifer Trader ist auch jemand, der erkennt, dass jede Reise mit dem ersten Schritt beginnt. So wird aus einem unreifen Trader ein reifer Trader, ohne dass sich anfänglich seine Performance verändern muss. Diese Bereitschaft zur Evolution entwickelt sich oft aus einem einzigen Augenblick heraus, manchmal in Sekundenbruchteilen – dann nämlich, wenn der Trader erkennt, dass er so nicht mehr weiterkommt, wenn er es leid ist, ständig ein Opfer zu sein, und nicht weiß, wie ihm geschieht; wenn ihm die Märkte eine Ohrfeige nach der anderen verpassen und er die Faust nicht einmal erkennt, so rasch wie sie zuschlägt. Dann wandelt er sich zum reifen Trader, der bereit ist, etwas zu tun und an sich zu arbeiten. Genau dann hat er den entscheidenden Schritt getan und alles Weitere ist nur noch eine Frage der Zeit.

Über die Jahre hinweg wird aus einem reifen Trader ein erfolgreicher Trader. Daher bedeutet das Wort „reif“ nach meinem Verständnis, dass ein Trader den richtigen Weg bereits eingeschlagen hat. Weil er erkennt, dass es überhaupt einen Weg zu bewältigen gilt. Der Prozess hin zum erfolgreichen Trader geschieht dann von ganz allein. Daher ist es der schwierigere Teil, einen unreifen Trader zu einem reifen Trader zu machen, denn diesen Schritt muss er wirklich wollen.

Sonst kann ihn kein Trainer der Welt dazu bringen und es helfen ihm auch kein Buch und kein Seminar. Hat der Trader die nötige Reife erreicht, ist es nur noch der Zeitfaktor, der ihn vom Erfolg trennt. Teile des zu Erlernenden finden Sie in meinem Buch Das Trader Coaching. Den Schritt zur Reife muss jeder Trader selbst machen. Sind Sie dazu bereit

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanInteressante Links

17.09.10 17:59

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanx

25.09.10 18:20

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanAuswirkung einer Verlustserie

25.09.10 18:23

Optionen

Angehängte Grafik:
mm_risiko.png (verkleinert auf 26%) vergrößern
mm_risiko.png

1532 Postings, 6937 Tage hoettinabend

08.11.10 19:12
mal ein link zum startkapital eines traders...meiner meinung nach immer noch absolut untertrieben...kein trader hält langfristig 30% performance durch..keiner!!!

10-12% sind realistisch...meiner meinung nach geht unter 1 mio. garnix...insbesondere weil man mit den dargestellten 33k pro jahr gerade mal eine grundsicherung hat...da kann ich auch hartz beziehen...

http://www.termintrader.com/...&contentid=49&pid=1&page=1  

Optionen

6338 Postings, 8615 Tage hardymanPersonality and Trend-Following

05.12.10 12:43
Personality and Trend-Following

Brett N. Steenbarger, Ph.D.

www.brettsteenbarger.com

I would describe my approach to trading as research-based trend following.  By that I mean that I attempt to ride strength or weakness in the market after it has been manifested.  I do not, however, automatically assume that any trend is my friend.  Instead, I use historical research to distinguish between trending movements that are likely to continue and those with a high probability of reversal.  This is a highly disciplined approach to trading in that it requires significant research and preparation time, as well as an ability to stick with market movements and one’s game plan.  

In my book The Psychology of Trading, I referred to personality traits that tend to distinguish successful traders from less successful ones.  Several of these traits are also likely to influence the degree of success traders are likely to have in adopting a trend-following approach to trading.  Below are several self-assessment questions that might be useful in determining whether you’ll face particularly great challenges in riding market trends.  Please write down “yes” or “no” answers to each of the twelve questions before reading further:

1.§When something goes against you in the market, do you often find yourself venting your frustration?

2.§Do you enjoy (or as a child did you enjoy) roller coasters or other thrill rides?

3.§Do you often find yourself procrastinating over work?

4.§Do you consider yourself moody—sometimes rather up, sometimes rather down?

5.§Would you generally prefer going out and partying with friends rather than staying at home with a good book or movie?

6.§Do you often find yourself apologizing to others because you forgot to do something you were supposed to do?

7.§Are you generally high-strung, tense, or stressed?

8.§If given the choice at a buffet, would you prefer to try exotic foods you’ve never heard of rather than familiar dishes?

9.§When you have a task that needs to be done around the house, do you tend to take a quick and dirty approach, rather than a meticulous, painstaking approach?

10.§After a losing trade, do you often feel guilty or get down on yourself?

11.§Have you experimented with or regularly used two or more recreational drugs (other than alcohol) in your life?

12.§Are you often late for appointments or for social plans you’ve made?

If you indicated “yes” to most or all of questions 1, 4, 7, and 10, you most likely score high on a trait called “neuroticism”.  Neuroticism is the tendency toward negative emotional experience, and it shows up as anger, anxiety, or depression.

If you responded “yes” to most or all of questions 2, 5, 8 and 11, you probably score high on a trait called “openness to experience”.  Openness reflects a tendency toward sensation seeking and risk-taking.

If you answered “yes” to most or all of questions 3, 6, 9, and 12, you potentially score low on a trait called “conscientiousness”.  Conscientiousness measures the degree to which an individual is oriented toward duty, responsibility, and dependability.

Other things being equal, the ideal personality pattern for trend following is one of high conscientiousness, low neuroticism, and low openness.  A good trend-follower will stick with rules and systems (conscientious), won’t impulsively enter or exit trades on the whim of emotion (neuroticism), and will trade for profits, not stimulation (low openness).  In my experience, some of the best systems traders are among the least flashy people.  They are meticulous and conscientious about their research and execution, and they don’t let their emotions or needs pull them from their discipline.

Conversely, individuals who are high risk-takers and who crave novelty, stimulation, and action often take impulsive and imprudent risks.  Very frequently, the neurotic emotions kick in after a series of losing high-risk trades.  Such individuals are trading for excitement and self-validation, not just profits.  Even if they are given a tested, profitable trading system, they will not be able to follow it faithfully.    

System traders often focus their research and energy on defining the optimal parameters for a system’s profitability.  Equally important is finding a trading strategy that meshes with one’s personality.  Traders who are relatively risk-averse may trade shorter time frames and/or smaller positions than those who are risk-tolerant.  Traders with a higher need for novelty and stimulation may benefit from trading a greater number of stocks and/or markets rather than focusing on a relative few.  Are some personalities simply unsuited for trading?  I would say yes, just as some personalities are not cut out to be fighter pilots or surgeons.  It is difficult to imagine a trader enjoying ongoing success without the capacity for disciplined risk-taking.

It is not at all unusual to find that a trader is losing with a trend following approach because he or she is acting out unmet personality needs in the market.  One of the best trading strategies one can employ is to find adequate outlets for attention/affection, achievement, self-esteem, emotional well being, and excitement outside of trading.  Sometimes traders I talk with try to impress me by explaining that trading is their entire life.  They do not realize that their very “passion” and “obsession” with the markets are likely to sabotage them, imposing undue pressures and interference.  If you have a trading system and you faithfully execute that system, trading should be reasonably boring and routine.  Better to enjoy roller coasters outside of market hours than ride them with your equity curve!

Brett N. Steenbarger, Ph.D. is Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at SUNY Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, NY.  He is also an active trader and writes occasional feature articles on market psychology for MSN’s Money site (www.moneycentral.com).  The author of The Psychology of Trading (Wiley; January, 2003), Dr. Steenbarger has published over 50 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters on short-term approaches to behavioral change.  His new, co-edited book The Art and Science of Brief Therapy (American Psychiatric Press) is due for publication during the first half of 2004.  Many of Dr. Steenbarger’s articles and trading strategies are archived on his website, www.brettsteenbarger.com.

Optionen

196 Postings, 3968 Tage elementarteilchenbesser geht's eigentlich nicht

08.10.21 23:29
Danke hardyman, so Du hier noch manchmal liest,  für diesen tollen Thread  

Seite: < 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 8  >  
   Antwort einfügen - nach oben